Whites GMT Fine Tuning

RoninOregon

Mar 29, 2011
Ron in Oregon. I've recently purchased a Whites GMT And in researching Forums I've found at least two comments stating that by pushing the vsat up towards the top of it's range will produce much better results, also turning the ground bal down in mild/nutural ground also helps. Anyone agree or have any other tips for the GMT/nuggetshooting????? THANKS

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi RO,
I've had a GMT for several years and indeed "ADJUSTING" the settings away from the presets changes how the machine reacts. One needs to work with the dials one at a time to understand 'better' what the machine will do. Last year I simply put the machine at maximum settings and used it. It was noisy but it pulled in signals on small gold with good clarity of the zip zip. Check my posts in the Metal Detecting for Gold section on Tnet of about september of last year for pictures and comments at that time. I was finding gold under "solid" bedrock so of course it only looked solid as there actually were cracks that one did not initially see. I was removing 6" to 8" of solid rock to get at these pieces of gold. Then sweep the area again before recovering the area. I reswept to find there was still another signal several inches further down. So yes, the instructions in the GMT video and in the manual tell you to adjust the settings higher as the electronics begin to function different from the preset settings......63bkpkr

jaguargene

Feb 8, 2011
Hi I just bought a Whites GMT,the old 66t.It's coming with a 12 and 6 inch coil.I get it for almost nothing.I may need it repaired or updating as much as this beast.Any thoughts on it,Thanks

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ron, 63 has a good handle on how to push the GMT to its limits. If anyone else has, they seem to be keeping it a secret. Review Herb's posts to get an EDUCATION on the GMT. I have only one thing to add: push until your machine goes "bad" then back off a little. How far to push will depend on the ground conditions. Mineralization is the key factor. Low or non-existant mineralization, push 'er all the way up. High mineralization, back off. And... as herb has said.... practice, practice, practice! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread