My modded cen tech

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took me a couple tries but finally got it right, mounted a switch and vibrating motor in the handle and ethernet cable from box to probe, adjusted the blue pot for a little extra sensitivity, just gotta figure out how to mount it on my machine, thanks for lookin, Jhar

Attachments

• cenray.jpg
    cenray.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 961
  • cenfin.jpg
    cenfin.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 993

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Looks good! Just hang it from your belt. When you kneel down it looks like it would be just the right length to probe the hole. Just carry the probe in your front pocket. Hook a LED across the vibrator and you have a detected light also. Frank
Looks more compact than the $130 probe and it only cost about $18 plus mod parts!

OP
OP
jharhed

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a good idea Frankn, didn't think of that, for me the less I have to remember the better off I am, so I found a way to mount it to my mxt, thank goodness for pvc and zip ties, the probe holder is temporary til I can find a couple clamps like the sunrays use. Sorry abt the crappy pictures.

Attachments

• mountcentech.jpg
    mountcentech.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,001

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You can find clamps in plumbing dept made for pipes, also in hardware dept used to hold brooms and mops. There are also clamps in the electrical dept to hold conduit. Frank

Dec 26, 2011
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome picking two of these up from HF today PM sent was looking for go by awesome idea :headbang:

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
best mod i have seen on this pin pointer :headbang:. nice work i like it big time

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a great mod. Now since I would like to do it myself could you please tell us how you built your probe? I see you kept the original antenna but you added something like a handle and a switch. I love the mod. Best one seen so far...
Please share... thanks

OP
OP
jharhed

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me see if I can remember, you'll need whatever type switch you want, vibrating motor, abt 2ft ethernet cable, hot glue/gun and 4" of 3/4 pvc (i think) for the handle. Make sure to cut and clean (fine sandpaper) one probe wire at a time (they are coated), wire in your ethernet cord and hotglue to secure and insulate, believe there were 4 and wire in your switch and motor with the other wires. You'll have to notch out a small part of your pvc handle to accommodate for the wires. Hardest part is dealing with the small copper wires.

OP
OP
jharhed

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comps guys

Charles (Sabre)(Tx)

Mar 19, 2008
Cuero, Texas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Fors CoRe, Minelab Excaliber II & Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is soooo cool! Looks like you got another winner here. I sure liked your propointer mount.

Charles

OP
OP
jharhed

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Charles, I cant just leave things be

Rogerv

Jan 25, 2013
Beltsville Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garret GTA-1000
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Bounty Hunter (came as BOGO from Kellyco)
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the mod the only suggestion i have is using a shielded stranded wire cable most cat 5 cables are solid wire that wont take to much bending. luckily I have a 250' role of stranded shielded teletype cable in my stash. I will be doing your mod this weekend.

Thanks

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Mason, Ohio (moved from wa)
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, White's XLT, GTI 2500, Ace 250, Titan 2000xd, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, I have a few cen-techs laying around, gonna have to try something along those lines.

Great job!

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
awesome idea, I love functional hacks like this.

issombeituni

May 26, 2013
You say they are coated so do u have to strip anything? Cant u just tie them all together?

Attachments

• image-2643775684.jpg
    image-2643775684.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 225
  • image-777218375.jpg
    image-777218375.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 222

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not 110% sure, but I'm going to say, yes you should strip the enamel off the coil wire, enough so you can fasten it to the cat5 cable or whatever else you may be using.. and I'm sure u could solder them, tie them together, however you choose I suppose, so long as it works... When I modded my studfinder it took me a couple more than a couple tries....patience and persistence pay off... ...I used my diy pinpointer til I bought a propointer... ..save your clad for that to be your next purchase... You ....WILL....love...it

-beav3r

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool mod. I like it ! I would put it in a pouch or large cell phone holder and mount the switch right on the probe.

OP
OP
jharhed

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I a[pologize issom, hadnt been following this post, bust13st was correct in saying the wires need to be stripped, I used fine sandpaper, and the switch is on the probe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread