Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: CONVERTING A LAND DETECTOR INTO A WATER HUNTING DETECTOR

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    zinclid

    Apr 2010
    ALABAMA
    Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
    169
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    CONVERTING A LAND DETECTOR INTO A WATER HUNTING DETECTOR

    I have thought about the idea of converting a land hunting metal detector into a water hunting metal detector many times. I've had ideas about how to go about doing this but have never gotten around to actually trying it. I think I could take a simple detector such as a Tesoro Compadre or Fisher 1212-x and solder a set of long wires to battery contacts--then run the wires through a rubber tube long enough to reach a set of headphones and have enough length to have some play for bending down or whatever---then I would place a battery holder on one side of headphones--or if two bats were needed, have battery holders on both sides of headphones. Set the controls as I'd like it--maybe have disk set just above foil reject level so I could still find pulltabs(and therefore gold items like rings)and then waterproof control box of detector by encasing it in some sort of epoxy or GOOP sealant. And have the end of rubber tube end next to control box secure in the sealant or epoxy where it can't pull away without extreme effort. I would have already set the detector to the "ON" position so that I would only have to plug my battery/batteries in the holder/holders to start up the detector and start to wade the waters for whatever I could find. I know that there are already detectors such as the HEADHUNTERS, but I am trying to figure out how I would make a water proof detector out of an already existing land hunting type detector. I was told by a well known detectorist that he's heard of folks placing the electronics into a plastic container like a Tupperware sandwich box and using that--don't remember if he said they put knobs on the box or not--I kind of doubt it, though. I would like to hear from anyone who has ideas about turning a land machine into a water machine for deep wading up to about chest deep. What would be a simple way that could be done without too much trouble. IF YOU'VE GOT SUGGESTIONS ON THIS I'D APPRECIATE IT--HAPPY HUNTING FOLKS!
    zinclid wuz heah!

  2. #2

    Apr 2012
    593
    83 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I seen the ace250 converted on another forum, I seen a water tight box in Dick's sporting goods It was built big enough to house a control box in, hope it helps, Good luck, acman

  3. #3
    us
    zinclid

    Apr 2010
    ALABAMA
    Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
    169
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Thanks--

    Quote Originally Posted by A/CMan View Post
    I seen the ace250 converted on another forum, I seen a water tight box in Dick's sporting goods It was built big enough to house a control box in, hope it helps, Good luck, acman
    Thanks--I appreciate that info--but I really need someone who can post some info on steps to take and what to use. Is there folks who've converted the Ace 250 so the control box can submerge? Even if it was a wading unit it would be cool--
    Last edited by ZINCLID; Jun 14, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
    zinclid wuz heah!

  4. #4

    Apr 2012
    593
    83 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    It was on findmall modification forum

  5. #5
    th
    Nov 2010
    Thailand/Europe/California
    Excalibur 2 1000
    1,035
    135 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    You could probably make a land detector splash proof, but the problem is what happens when you try to recover your find, and your detector takes a swim. When im detecting in shallow water, I just drop my Excal in the water, while im digging, it doesnt leak, it doesnt float away. When in the water, I dont carry anything with me, that cant swim, no cell phone, no remote, no money, easier to concentrate on finding something.

    I know that isnt the answer that you want, but I think your wasting your time, and maybe burn up your detector.
    Sandman and yelnif like this.

  6. #6
    de
    Mar 2008
    Germany
    ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
    297
    60 times
    There was a very nice post with a step-by-step explanation and pictures for waterproofing an ACE here on TNet a couple of years ago by TNet member khouse. Maybe you go through the posts and try to find it, about 2-3 years back. Good luck

  7. #7

    May 2012
    Minelab Sovereign GT ,Fisher F2 DD Coil, NEL Tornado Coil, Garret Propointer ....
    37
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    To give you and Idea this is what I did with my sovereign gt



    And the results

  8. #8
    Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

    Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    12,029
    2164 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have taken a Garrett ADS-7 and mounted it on an inner tube and covered it in a plastic bag. It had a long coil cable so I could mount that on a straight shaft and go at it. I only scooped what the needle said was pull tabs and nickels. Trouble developed when condensation built up in the bag and the detector had to get aired out. First water detector with a meter. Sorry no pics as this was before memory cards and computers.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

  9. #9

    Oct 2005
    XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
    1,629
    135 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Dave Emery was going to use a U.S. sourced waterproof case for his "Surf Devil". The advantage was that the waterproof top opens for access to the controls of the detector so set, close and off you go. Not to much conversion work needed on the original machine.

    One thing to consider is that some coils don't take well to being pushed deep under water (more rainproof than waterproof like the original Minelab Sovereign coils) so that should influence your detector choice.

  10. #10

    Oct 2003
    St. Louis
    Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
    178
    26 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    don't mess around, get a water machine. They are made to use underwater, and when you are in water up to your neck and trying to recover something you will be glad you spent the extra money. Believe me it is aggravating enough with a water machine to try and recover a target. For the most part you cannot see your searchcoil, and even if you can you will probably not see it when you start digging, then pinpointing is a nightmare, plus you are standing next to your hole so it is constantly filling back in with sand or mud from your weight, it is fun, but then again it is a nightmare, until you find something. I would buy a Tesoro water machine. They have a lifetime guarantee and that is of optimum importance when we are talking about water and electronics. If I was really intent on using a land machine I would get a very strong plastic bag and somehow wrap it around the electronic portion, and the battery compartment if separate, then I would take a vacuum cleaner and completely suck out all of the air so there is no buoyancy and then tape it up like crazy so no water gets in. You would have to set your machine first, and have good batteries etc., but when you suck out all the air it will make your controls unable to move. If I was going to do that I would go buy a used piece of junk like a Bounty Hunter, which are all over Ebay and Craigslist for little money and use that, rather than blow out a good machine.
    Sandman likes this.

  11. #11
    OBN
    OBN is offline
    us
    83+ on the CB List, Hammer time

    Dec 2008
    Ocean City / Chesapeake Bay
    ViperII / Diablo titanium scoops
    2,601
    1101 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I have to agree with Boilermaker, Most land machines cannot handle the saltwater. I would look for a old CZ20..I have picked up two from members our on forums that were well priced and good condition. Think I payed 350 and 400 for each. The CZ's are built like tanks, do as well as the excalibur once tuned for the conditions. I see you have Minelabs, the two that would work well with saltwater would be the Sovereign, and one of the Explorer Series. If your set on making your own, you will need to check out Max's setups.........
    Waterproof Housings, you might like this

    DIY: Modify Land MD to Water MD

  12. #12
    us
    Apr 2011
    Cashion Oklahoma
    White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
    409
    111 times
    Metal Detecting
    one word.

    Sikaflex.
    2013 Finds Thread

    2013 American Coin Totals:
    Mercury Dimes: 5
    Roosevelt Dimes:17
    Franklin Halves: 1
    Wheat Pennies: 87+1 steel
    Washington Quarters: 2
    Barber Halves: 1

    I'm back to work and away from home, looks like the most I'll be hunting for awhile.

  13. #13
    us
    Jan 2013
    Gold river
    Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
    218
    27 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ZINCLID
    I have thought about the idea of converting a land hunting metal detector into a water hunting metal detector many times. I've had ideas about how to go about doing this but have never gotten around to actually trying it. I think I could take a simple detector such as a Tesoro Compadre or Fisher 1212-x and solder a set of long wires to battery contacts--then run the wires through a rubber tube long enough to reach a set of headphones and have enough length to have some play for bending down or whatever---then I would place a battery holder on one side of headphones--or if two bats were needed, have battery holders on both sides of headphones. Set the controls as I'd like it--maybe have disk set just above foil reject level so I could still find pulltabs(and therefore gold items like rings)and then waterproof control box of detector by encasing it in some sort of epoxy or GOOP sealant. And have the end of rubber tube end next to control box secure in the sealant or epoxy where it can't pull away without extreme effort. I would have already set the detector to the "ON" position so that I would only have to plug my battery/batteries in the holder/holders to start up the detector and start to wade the waters for whatever I could find. I know that there are already detectors such as the HEADHUNTERS, but I am trying to figure out how I would make a water proof detector out of an already existing land hunting type detector. I was told by a well known detectorist that he's heard of folks placing the electronics into a plastic container like a Tupperware sandwich box and using that--don't remember if he said they put knobs on the box or not--I kind of doubt it, though. I would like to hear from anyone who has ideas about turning a land machine into a water machine for deep wading up to about chest deep. What would be a simple way that could be done without too much trouble. IF YOU'VE GOT SUGGESTIONS ON THIS I'D APPRECIATE IT--HAPPY HUNTING FOLKS!
    Why was the time and money when you can just put it all into buying an under water detector. Cut to the chase, and get one you'll be much happier!! Good luck
    OBN and yelnif like this.

  14. #14
    us
    Dec 2008
    austin,texas
    Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer
    2,076
    379 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Go on You Tube and I'm sure you will be able to find someone who has done it and will show you how,step by step,
    that's how I fixed my washing machine.

  15. #15
    us
    Mar 2013
    ne okla
    Tesoro vaquero
    370
    123 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Produce Guy View Post
    Go on You Tube and I'm sure you will be able to find someone who has done it and will show you how,step by step,
    that's how I fixed my washing machine.
    Did you ever find GOLD with that 'washing machine detector' if so - how deep? haha - sorry but I couldn't resist. yelnif...

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Does the detector exist that does equally well on water and land?
    By trueTreasure in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Sep 17, 2011, 10:28 PM
  2. How hard would it be to water proof a land detector?
    By thrillathahunt in forum Metal Detector Modifications
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Feb 27, 2010, 12:17 PM
  3. Which detector is best for water and land?
    By SkyPirate in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr 09, 2009, 01:01 AM
  4. land and water detector
    By K*E*L*L*Y in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Dec 16, 2008, 12:25 PM
  5. WHITES AMPHIBIAN II LAND WATER DETECTOR
    By Keppy in forum White's
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Dec 17, 2007, 08:48 AM

Search tags for this page

can i convert my ace 250 to a waterproof unit

,

can i put a underwater coil on a land metal detector

,

convert bounty hunter to water usage

,

convert underwater metal detector

,

how to make a aquatic compadre metal detector

,

metal detector land to water conversion

,
modified metal detector to make a water detector
,

tesoro compadre modifications

,
tesoro compadre vs 1212x
,

youtube make your own underwater metal detector

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3