CONVERTING A LAND DETECTOR INTO A WATER HUNTING DETECTOR

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have thought about the idea of converting a land hunting metal detector into a water hunting metal detector many times. I've had ideas about how to go about doing this but have never gotten around to actually trying it. I think I could take a simple detector such as a Tesoro Compadre or Fisher 1212-x and solder a set of long wires to battery contacts--then run the wires through a rubber tube long enough to reach a set of headphones and have enough length to have some play for bending down or whatever---then I would place a battery holder on one side of headphones--or if two bats were needed, have battery holders on both sides of headphones. Set the controls as I'd like it--maybe have disk set just above foil reject level so I could still find pulltabs(and therefore gold items like rings)and then waterproof control box of detector by encasing it in some sort of epoxy or GOOP sealant. And have the end of rubber tube end next to control box secure in the sealant or epoxy where it can't pull away without extreme effort. I would have already set the detector to the "ON" position so that I would only have to plug my battery/batteries in the holder/holders to start up the detector and start to wade the waters for whatever I could find. I know that there are already detectors such as the HEADHUNTERS, but I am trying to figure out how I would make a water proof detector out of an already existing land hunting type detector. I was told by a well known detectorist that he's heard of folks placing the electronics into a plastic container like a Tupperware sandwich box and using that--don't remember if he said they put knobs on the box or not--I kind of doubt it, though. I would like to hear from anyone who has ideas about turning a land machine into a water machine for deep wading up to about chest deep. What would be a simple way that could be done without too much trouble. IF YOU'VE GOT SUGGESTIONS ON THIS I'D APPRECIATE IT--HAPPY HUNTING FOLKS!

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seen the ace250 converted on another forum, I seen a water tight box in Dick's sporting goods It was built big enough to house a control box in, hope it helps, Good luck, acman

OP
OP
ZINCLID

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks--

I seen the ace250 converted on another forum, I seen a water tight box in Dick's sporting goods It was built big enough to house a control box in, hope it helps, Good luck, acman
Thanks--I appreciate that info--but I really need someone who can post some info on steps to take and what to use. Is there folks who've converted the Ace 250 so the control box can submerge? Even if it was a wading unit it would be cool--

Last edited:

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was on findmall modification forum

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could probably make a land detector splash proof, but the problem is what happens when you try to recover your find, and your detector takes a swim. When im detecting in shallow water, I just drop my Excal in the water, while im digging, it doesnt leak, it doesnt float away. When in the water, I dont carry anything with me, that cant swim, no cell phone, no remote, no money, easier to concentrate on finding something.

I know that isnt the answer that you want, but I think your wasting your time, and maybe burn up your detector.

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
There was a very nice post with a step-by-step explanation and pictures for waterproofing an ACE here on TNet a couple of years ago by TNet member khouse. Maybe you go through the posts and try to find it, about 2-3 years back. Good luck

Kbron2000

May 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT ,Fisher F2 DD Coil, NEL Tornado Coil, Garret Propointer ....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To give you and Idea this is what I did with my sovereign gt

And the results :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have taken a Garrett ADS-7 and mounted it on an inner tube and covered it in a plastic bag. It had a long coil cable so I could mount that on a straight shaft and go at it. I only scooped what the needle said was pull tabs and nickels. Trouble developed when condensation built up in the bag and the detector had to get aired out. First water detector with a meter. Sorry no pics as this was before memory cards and computers.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave Emery was going to use a U.S. sourced waterproof case for his "Surf Devil". The advantage was that the waterproof top opens for access to the controls of the detector so set, close and off you go. Not to much conversion work needed on the original machine.

One thing to consider is that some coils don't take well to being pushed deep under water (more rainproof than waterproof like the original Minelab Sovereign coils) so that should influence your detector choice.

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
don't mess around, get a water machine. They are made to use underwater, and when you are in water up to your neck and trying to recover something you will be glad you spent the extra money. Believe me it is aggravating enough with a water machine to try and recover a target. For the most part you cannot see your searchcoil, and even if you can you will probably not see it when you start digging, then pinpointing is a nightmare, plus you are standing next to your hole so it is constantly filling back in with sand or mud from your weight, it is fun, but then again it is a nightmare, until you find something. I would buy a Tesoro water machine. They have a lifetime guarantee and that is of optimum importance when we are talking about water and electronics. If I was really intent on using a land machine I would get a very strong plastic bag and somehow wrap it around the electronic portion, and the battery compartment if separate, then I would take a vacuum cleaner and completely suck out all of the air so there is no buoyancy and then tape it up like crazy so no water gets in. You would have to set your machine first, and have good batteries etc., but when you suck out all the air it will make your controls unable to move. If I was going to do that I would go buy a used piece of junk like a Bounty Hunter, which are all over Ebay and Craigslist for little money and use that, rather than blow out a good machine.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to agree with Boilermaker, Most land machines cannot handle the saltwater. I would look for a old CZ20..I have picked up two from members our on forums that were well priced and good condition. Think I payed 350 and 400 for each. The CZ's are built like tanks, do as well as the excalibur once tuned for the conditions. I see you have Minelabs, the two that would work well with saltwater would be the Sovereign, and one of the Explorer Series. If your set on making your own, you will need to check out Max's setups.........
Waterproof Housings, you might like this

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...tions/304472-diy-modify-land-md-water-md.html

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ZINCLID said:
I have thought about the idea of converting a land hunting metal detector into a water hunting metal detector many times. I've had ideas about how to go about doing this but have never gotten around to actually trying it. I think I could take a simple detector such as a Tesoro Compadre or Fisher 1212-x and solder a set of long wires to battery contacts--then run the wires through a rubber tube long enough to reach a set of headphones and have enough length to have some play for bending down or whatever---then I would place a battery holder on one side of headphones--or if two bats were needed, have battery holders on both sides of headphones. Set the controls as I'd like it--maybe have disk set just above foil reject level so I could still find pulltabs(and therefore gold items like rings)and then waterproof control box of detector by encasing it in some sort of epoxy or GOOP sealant. And have the end of rubber tube end next to control box secure in the sealant or epoxy where it can't pull away without extreme effort. I would have already set the detector to the "ON" position so that I would only have to plug my battery/batteries in the holder/holders to start up the detector and start to wade the waters for whatever I could find. I know that there are already detectors such as the HEADHUNTERS, but I am trying to figure out how I would make a water proof detector out of an already existing land hunting type detector. I was told by a well known detectorist that he's heard of folks placing the electronics into a plastic container like a Tupperware sandwich box and using that--don't remember if he said they put knobs on the box or not--I kind of doubt it, though. I would like to hear from anyone who has ideas about turning a land machine into a water machine for deep wading up to about chest deep. What would be a simple way that could be done without too much trouble. IF YOU'VE GOT SUGGESTIONS ON THIS I'D APPRECIATE IT--HAPPY HUNTING FOLKS!

Why was the time and money when you can just put it all into buying an under water detector. Cut to the chase, and get one you'll be much happier!! Good luck

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go on You Tube and I'm sure you will be able to find someone who has done it and will show you how,step by step,
that's how I fixed my washing machine.

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go on You Tube and I'm sure you will be able to find someone who has done it and will show you how,step by step,
that's how I fixed my washing machine.

Did you ever find GOLD with that 'washing machine detector' if so - how deep? haha - sorry but I couldn't resist. yelnif...

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you just like to jury rig and fiddle with things, have fun. If you're really wanting to get serious about detecting in serious water, buy a detector meant for water use.
JMHO
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread