Is it possable to make a pinpointer from scrach?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
M getting a propointer but can't wait!
Hey snacher,
I had the same problem, I didnt want to wait, so I figured I can make a good enough pinpointer for a few bucks, I have the circuit board with almost all components installed. Then I ordered my F2 and it came with a pinpointer, so the circuit board is still sitting there waiting to be finished! I would still like to finish it, as the Fisher/Bounty hunter pinpointer is not real great and my homemade one will probably work better (I hope).

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are so spoiled needing pinpointers. Granted they are a help but years ago we were able to pinpoint better with the detector because it had zero motion all metal. We used a screw driver as a probe to touch the coin and pop shallow ones out of the ground. Deep targets called for a plug of course and that was the only time we cut one. Retrieval is faster with a manual probe too.

Celluforce

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Sandman !

Does the "probe technique" leaves marks on the coin?

You guys are so spoiled needing pinpointers. Granted they are a help but years ago we were able to pinpoint better with the detector because it had zero motion all metal. We used a screw driver as a probe to touch the coin and pop shallow ones out of the ground. Deep targets called for a plug of course and that was the only time we cut one. Retrieval is faster with a manual probe too.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never found a use for one and the screwdriver conversion and commercial brass manual ones does damage many coins. Even just the action of leavering up the coin through the earth can cause scratches.

The instructions for a D.I.Y. electronic pinpointer can be found at www.easytreasure.co.uk/probe.htm

deteknix

Jul 22, 2013
Covina, CA
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS Pro-pointer
Ace 350
White's 6000DI pro
Rangar
Tesoro Cortes
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting