Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Dec 2007
    Just south of St. Louis, Mo.
    Garrett GTAX 1000
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Adding a lighted display

Has anyone added lights to thier digital displayed detector so they can see it in the dark. Reason is my eyes aren't what they used to be and last time I went beach detecting at night I'd have to keep turning on/off the flash light to see what was there. I'm sure there is a way because they can do it with watches and clocks.
    If it's not nailed down it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose it's not nailed down.

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Charter Member
    cr
    Detecting fever comes and goes.

Jun 2012
    San Jose
    Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
    138 times
    Metal Detecting and Ham Radio
    I personally don't know if there is an "easy" way to do it. Anyhow in my experience a good headlight will solve all your problems. First at night you will want to know where you are walking (moon can help but not always). Second if you want to see the detector, dig your find, actually find what you are digging you will need some light, and since both your hands will be busy a good headlight is the solution. I personaly use a Petzl Tikka it is not too expensive and it is very good. Don't buy a cheap one since it will not be very usefull, and they don't work very well. Also a led headlamp will be better for battery duration, mine has a 160 hour duration over 3 AAA batteries.
    Just my 5cents.

Oct 2005
    XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
    108 times
    There were a couple of add ons that you would stick to the meter with a sticky pad that could be removed at a later date without causing damage. They used those flat button type batteries. I wonder if you could use the lights they sell for E-Book readers. Branded ones are expensive but you can pick them up for next to nothing on E-Bay.

us
    Dec 2007
    Just south of St. Louis, Mo.
    Garrett GTAX 1000
    1 times
    Thanks for the replys guys. Where I go beach hunting there is some light coming from the houses and condos that line the beach but the angle is all wrong to view the screen on my detector. Looking into this I had given some thought to adding some white LED's and edge lighting the display panel. My other option was to use an electro-luminescent panel installed behind the display. Not wanting to spend a whole lot on this project electro panels are out and side lighting is too much work right now. U.K. Brian, I like your idea of using one of those LED book lights, small, low power consumption and can be clipped on. Thanks.
    If it's not nailed down it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose it's not nailed down.

sk
    Nov 2008
    Home made backlight: Fisher F70

Homemade backlight
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F70_backlight_38.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	652826

Charter Member
    cr
    Detecting fever comes and goes.

Jun 2012
    San Jose
    Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
    138 times
    Metal Detecting and Ham Radio
    Very nice job... how did you do it?

CAN YOU DIG IT ! yes I can

Jul 2012
    Massachusetts
    GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
    420 times
    seewt mod

Sponsors