12 $ PVC frame and Water resistant mod

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my old HF MD was in need of some tlc . broke the handle off broke the extension shaft lock and I broke the plastic leg that connects the coil to the shaft . so I made this frame out of pvc and got a wet box from walmart for 6 $ . had some pvc pipe .just had to get the 2 45's and a coupling. the shaft disassembles and fits nicely in my back pack . and now i can hunt in the rain and shallow water :hello2:

2012-08-06_14-34-47_458.jpg 2012-08-06_14-36-17_37.jpg

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it looks nice .... looks military...!!!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Real Nice work, It should open up some fresh water hunting for you, alway treasure in these spots if there has been the right crowds. I like the box from walmart, was it in the camping department? Would be handy thing to have around for any water hunter.

The only thing I would do is to make it more water safe would be to use some IP 68 cable grips, they are cheap, about 2 dollars and you can get them at Mouser, and Digi-key. One is the type they use on the Minelab Excalibur for the cables...Heyco 3237.. 3237 Heyco | Mouser

2-05.jpg

mlrosier

Greenie
May 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a long shot and that this post is three years old, but I'm in need of help. I bought a MFMD9 and I gutted it like you did. I bought the PVC Pipe and the Walmart Wet Box. I desoldered the coil cable from the main board, as well as the useless meter. I got everything packed into the wet box, resoldered the coil cable to the board, but now, when I turn the detector on, all it does is beep, at everything, metal or not. Just holding the detector still, all it does is chirp non-stop. Is it because I did not re-solder the meter to the board? I'm pulling my hair out and I am about to give up and just junk all of it. Can anyone help?

OP
OP
silversurfer1111

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a long shot and that this post is three years old, but I'm in need of help. I bought a MFMD9 and I gutted it like you did. I bought the PVC Pipe and the Walmart Wet Box. I desoldered the coil cable from the main board, as well as the useless meter. I got everything packed into the wet box, resoldered the coil cable to the board, but now, when I turn the detector on, all it does is beep, at everything, metal or not. Just holding the detector still, all it does is chirp non-stop. Is it because I did not re-solder the meter to the board? I'm pulling my hair out and I am about to give up and just junk all of it. Can anyone help?
Damn man sorry to here that.....I would take a close look at your connections that you had to resolder. I ran into the same problem because one of my connections was bad. just undo your solder connections and start over. make sure have the wires in the correct position they cannot be touching anything you may want to insulate the wires that connect to the board with electrical tape or something. I used heat shrink wrap. good luck

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool. I still have my HF9F, I can't bring myself to throw it out. I've upgraded twice since I bought it, but I love it's simplicity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread