GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to hunt the creeks from time to time for relics, rings, and coins. The problem I am having is that my White's DFX coil has for the second time became water logged and will need to be replaced "again" Two questions. First, is there a way to keep this from happening with the new one? Some way to seal it? The second, is there a better detector to hunt in knee deep water? Something that works good on land and shallow water? Any thoughts or comments are welcomed.

L

lost hunter

Garrett AT Pro. As far as your coil goes you could try some kind of rubber spray. Or maybe spray on chip guard from the auto parts

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as waterproofing the coil I'd use Silcone sealant around the connection plug if the plastic on the coil is OK. As for a water detector I would opt for the Tiger Shark as these hardly ever go bad and need to be sent in for repair and if it is, its under life time warranty.

fuzymunky

Jul 11, 2012
CO
Detector(s) used
Retired: Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro -------
Active: White's DFX 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Probly a dumb answer, but just trying to help. I know a lot of guys here have used Plasti Dip for several MD mods. Dunno if that'll help. I've personally got the Garrett AT Pro and that sentence is soon going to be "I had an AT Pro". I swear, that stupid POS gives off more falses in the water than anything I've seen, regardless of how I have my coil cord attached (wrapped, strung-then-wrapped, Velcro straps, etc). From my experiences in the field with guys running White's and Minelabs, and again, just my experience....White's is the way to go.

....now on to robbing that bank so I can afford one...

fuzymunky

Jul 11, 2012
CO
Detector(s) used
Retired: Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro -------
Active: White's DFX 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As far as waterproofing the coil I'd use Silcone sealant around the connection plug if the plastic on the coil is OK. As for a water detector I would opt for the Tiger Shark as these hardly ever go bad and need to be sent in for repair and if it is, its under life time warranty.

Sandman, "liked" your post simply for your sig.

OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you each for your replies. My new coil will be in tomorrow and I will put the suggestions to work and see.

james231

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have problem with DFX coil you need to dry it and check your coil connector pins are clean, if not lightly sand with emery or sand paper to make clean connections. If these are not clean you need to slide housing of plug from inner shaft, some have a small screw some are just sprung loaded and check soldered connections, they often need re-soldering. I will surely fix the problems.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread