Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Set out over a year ago to have a Local machine shop make me 36 endcaps for the Excalibur, been checking in on them over the past year. No Progress, so I went up and picked my Blueprints up a month ago and figured I would give it a shot. Hit Ebay for a small lathe, turned out it was too small and I had to do some changes to the carriage. Now she will take the larger rods of materal. This is endcap number #1. Also have a good friend OT who is working on casting them, which is alot less time consuming and cheaper. His are close to perfected also.

OP
OP
OBN

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
OBN0007.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone tried to make end caps with thread-on connectors for the main housing like the ones for the battery pod? It sure would make life easier when it came to swapping coils and headphones.

OP
OP
OBN

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
In the works but looks like it will be next winter before I get time to focus on that, still working on the Skullies..UW Speaker headphones.

pjrough drawings OBN0020.jpg obn OBN0021.jpg endcaps been made from BP addon.jpg

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking forward to having these on my excal! And the pinpoint switch!

OD_hunt

Aug 16, 2009
South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Hi all

Thanks for the detailed photos OBN, and ideas from everybody! It's been an inspiration. Change of mood from 'darn my Excal is failing me' to 'I can actually fix this myself...'

I'm looking at doing a remote PP button cabled into the pod via the end-cap. So I plan to take the single-holed end-cap out as I'm also changing my Koss earphones to harwired GGA earphones. I'll use a new two-holed end-cap for the PP and the earphones. So I'll end up with battery and coil cables on one side, and PP and earphones on the other side.

Question is, can I get a standard Minelab spare part for use as the new two-holed plug? I see no issue, unless somebody knows of something.
If I use the standard Minelab two-hole plug, what is the thread size of the hole for the cable gland?
Is it the same size thread in both end-caps?

I have a local supplier for the glands in several different threads (PG, Metric and NPT)

So if the Minelab spare part end-cap is too expensive I'll make a new one at work with M12 threads and get new M12 IP68 glands. Any suggestion for the raw material? Perspex / polycarbonate / nylon?

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
OBN

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, Things have really came a long ways since this post...I did end up make a endcap for the coil side so one can swap out coils on the Excalibur, and on the PP endcap I used the same connectors as the CTX so one can swap out headphones, I also using a m12-4 for the remote PP so it is much easier to change out PP handles and put the machine together.

I use Acrylic rod to make the endcaps...[h=3]Optically Clear Cast Acrylic Rod[/h]
[h=3]1-3/4" Diameter[/h]I think I understand what your asking, Yes the thread size on the endcap are the same on the double and single. But I would suggest making you own.. Unless you can get a used endcap I don't think Minelabs sells them.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all

Thanks for the detailed photos OBN, and ideas from everybody! It's been an inspiration. Change of mood from 'darn my Excal is failing me' to 'I can actually fix this myself...'

I'm looking at doing a remote PP button cabled into the pod via the end-cap. So I plan to take the single-holed end-cap out as I'm also changing my Koss earphones to harwired GGA earphones. I'll use a new two-holed end-cap for the PP and the earphones. So I'll end up with battery and coil cables on one side, and PP and earphones on the other side.

Question is, can I get a standard Minelab spare part for use as the new two-holed plug? I see no issue, unless somebody knows of something.
If I use the standard Minelab two-hole plug, what is the thread size of the hole for the cable gland?
Is it the same size thread in both end-caps?

I have a local supplier for the glands in several different threads (PG, Metric and NPT)

So if the Minelab spare part end-cap is too expensive I'll make a new one at work with M12 threads and get new M12 IP68 glands. Any suggestion for the raw material? Perspex / polycarbonate / nylon?

Thanks

Just an FYI, per Dave at repair center doing so will void warranty if excal is still under warranty, also if there is an issue with the remote pp not working or causing a problem on the excal and it was installed by anyone other than the repair center they will not work on the 3rd party remote pp, they will simply remove the pp mod...... (Only exception are mods done by OBN)

They have already had to work on multiple bad remote pp mods done by other people to correct issues from shoddy work and have decided to no longer repair other people's mods....

Wow, Things have really came a long ways since this post...I did end up make a endcap for the coil side so one can swap out coils on the Excalibur, and on the PP endcap I used the same connectors as the CTX so one can swap out headphones, I also using a m12-4 for the remote PP so it is much easier to change out PP handles and put the machine together.

I use Acrylic rod to make the endcaps...Optically Clear Cast Acrylic Rod

1-3/4" Diameter

I think I understand what your asking, Yes the thread size on the endcap are the same on the double and single. But I would suggest making you own.. Unless you can get a used endcap I don't think Minelabs sells them.

Correct ML does not sell parts.

Last edited:

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I am very interested in this thread. I am putting together an Excal 800 on a Plugger shaft with aft controls.

I picked up a 15" NEL Attack coil, and I am now modding the handle to accept a pp switch.

I realized that an insert can be put in the top of the standard handle on the Plugger which is 7/8" ID with a hole for wiring, and the top of the assembly could be a square U shape to mount the switch.

I went online to a CAD site, designed my part, and exported it to an online 3-D printer shop.

2 units 3-D printed in plastic?

18 dollars delivered.

Took me 20 minutes from light bulb in my head to paying for it.

What a world we live in.

Sheepdog43338

Oct 22, 2019
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Excalibur II,,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OBN is the acrylic cap for the coil/battery end available yet. Dropped mine and broke the battery threaded piece off,,,,UGGGGG

OP
OP
OBN

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
OBN is the acrylic cap for the coil/battery end available yet. Dropped mine and broke the battery threaded piece off,,,,UGGGGG
I stopped all work about 5 years ago...But I know where you can purchase, have to get back to you on that.. Should be able to get what you need from these guys...in PA ......814-283-4270

Last edited:

Sheepdog43338

Oct 22, 2019
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Excalibur II,,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nope they will not sell them so I am sending it in to get raped with pumice for lube most likely

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread