homemade coil windings?

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can find a LOT of used coils on ebay at half that or less. There are several videos on Youtube about making coils.
Anyone experiment w makin their own custom coils for the x-terra & in general? Anyone have how-to info to share here for us folks that can't afford these new coils @ 300. Bucks a shot..

OP
OP
O

oldnlazy

Oct 6, 2012
amazon.com maybe a good place to look??

Whole idea is not to purchase. I am a hobbyist looking into. Making my own custom windings and encapsulation to improve on the current $300 aftermarket large coils for the minelan exterra. Thx however..

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Whole idea is not to purchase. I am a hobbyist looking into. Making my own custom windings and encapsulation to improve on the current $300 aftermarket large coils for the minelan exterra. Thx however..

What you are proposing is a way to spend huge amounts of time playing around with stuff that will produce many failures before you achieve success (if you do at all). And the right materials are gonna cost you. And if you don't know what the heck you're doing, you'll never get a usable searchcoil out of the project no matter how many times you try.

As a way to just DIY and save a few bucks, it's a really bad idea. Real manufacturers have already gone through the grief of figuring out how to make a searchcoil that works. Buy factory new; or, used, but only if you trust the seller.

--Dave J.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to geotech forums, there is a wealth of info about making coils. However I have made my own PI coils for the Whites TDI. Its a mono coil and the easiest to make. It cost almost as much to make one as it does to buy a factory coil. The reason is that the components are expensive in single quantities. You will need a good inductance meter $100+ (cheap won't do). A good O-scope is almost a must for a high quality coil. You need to build a coil form. Getting the winding just the right size to fit the finished coil into the housing is difficult. Then if my memory serves me, the exterra has a micro-controller built in to the coil. Starting to get the picture?

Bottom line, its much cheaper to buy a very good aftermarket coil than to build your own. However, the learning experience is priceless.

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Building mono coils for PI's are the easiest. DD coils and concentric for non metered machines takes more skill.
Won't waste my time or money building a coil for a digital metered machine any more. Tried building one for the Tek Omega. Actually worked somewhat when nulling the DD coil windings but, the ID meter would no longer work properly, nor the mult-tones. The coil windings were put in the spare parts box............

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
oldnlazy said:
Anyone experiment w makin their own custom coils for the x-terra & in general? Anyone have how-to info to share here for us folks that can't afford these new coils @ 300. Bucks a shot..

Chech out your local mining shop they might have some or be able to point you in a direction to find one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread