Etrac coils

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
I have a Sunray 8 and an Excelerator 5. Neither will give you as much depth as the standard coil. But both have advantages. I use the Sunray 8" the most. has good coverage and target seperation. You will get some targets that were masked while using the large coil. Only use the 5" in extreamly trashy areas.

OP
OP
Ian Gerhard

Ian Gerhard

Jan 21, 2013
Thank you very much Jeff. I bid on a sef 8x6 coil to give that a shot, the box says it increases depth but i find that hard to believe. I was under the impression that the wider the coil the deeper it will go. I found a few silver dimes with nails nearby with the stock coil. I have a big trashy area to experiment with in a nearby park. Earlier searches with my old ace 250 produced a walking liberty half. When I upgraded to the E Trac i found a two silver spill a barber and a merc
in the same area. I will let you know if the sef coil pays off.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the SEF 6x8:not too big not too small and better separation than the stock coil IMO.
Thank you very much Jeff. I bid on a sef 8x6 coil to give that a shot, the box says it increases depth but i find that hard to believe. I was under the impression that the wider the coil the deeper it will go. I found a few silver dimes with nails nearby with the stock coil. I have a big trashy area to experiment with in a nearby park. Earlier searches with my old ace 250 produced a walking liberty half. When I upgraded to the E Trac i found a two silver spill a barber and a merc
in the same area. I will let you know if the sef coil pays off.

OP
OP
Ian Gerhard

Ian Gerhard

Jan 21, 2013
I got the 6x8 and used it for a couple days. I cant get to any trashy spots to see if it really makes a difference. I did get a wheat penny from a previously hunted spot. I just need to wait for the thaw to see how it handles silver. I was also considering getting a bigger coil like a 12 or 13. Anyone use these? How much deeper do they go? Thanks for your input guys

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a Walking Liberty half , Barber quarter, 3 Indian Heads, 5 wheat cents and an Art Deco makeup compact in the same yard with this coil in the last week or so. Oh and tons of clad coins...dug very little junk. Plenty of junk there though.

OP
OP
Ian Gerhard

Ian Gerhard

Jan 21, 2013
Sounds like its working wonders for you, do you change settings between the two coils? I put the stock coil back on yesterday, ended up with a merc. It was the first silver i got from this little park I hunt, been through it with Ace 250, Etrac 11 at least 3 times, Etrac 6x8 2 times, then back to 11 with Etrac pow 1920 dime lol

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Coiltec Joey for trashy areas and a 15" WOT coil for large areas without much trash. Both work excellent! You can sure cover a lot of ground with that 15". I use a sling with that one as it does get a little heavy after a while. The Joey seems to get about the same depth but the 15" WOT goes deeper and doesn't seem to lose any small targets. I've found ear ring studs with it at the beach.

OP
OP
Ian Gerhard

Ian Gerhard

Jan 21, 2013
Thanks Cudamark that should help me narrow it down. How much deeper does the 15 inch go?

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been posting this around the site to see what peoples opinions are. I thought it seemed related.

Paragraph 3 of page 99 of "The Minelab Explorer & E-trac Handbook" by Andy Sabisch
"Another interesting characteristic of Double-D coils is that unlike concentric coils , smaller coils do not have an appreciable loss of detection depth when compared to the stock coil. This means you can still find deeper targets with a small coil while eliminating the possibility of missing something due to target masking. Larger Double-D coils are also not prone to the typical loss of sensitivity to smaller targets that one sees on larger concentric coils. Many users of the larger coils such as the 15" Coiltek WOT or the new Detech / EXcelerator S.E.F. coils consistently report finding small artifacts or even coins on edge at impressive depths"

BTW I don't know that a WOT or a big coil like that would be very much fun to use in a trashy park(I could be wrong) you have to be able to isolate those "deep" targets to dig them. And to answer your earlier question: I didn't change settings between coil changes. I have several small DD coils for sale on the "for sale" forum in case you're interested(joey coil, excelerator, etc.)
Thanks Cudamark that should help me narrow it down. How much deeper does the 15 inch go?

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big targets, like an aluminum can, about 2' on a stock coil, 2 1/2' with the WOT. a Quarter......16" and 18" respectively, 14" and 16" on a dime. The deepest earring I've found was with the WOT at approximately 12". It was a stud with a small stone in it that kept falling through the scoop. I've found other small bits of foil at that depth too. This is all at a highly mineralized salt water beach both in the dry and wet sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions