advise me on a new detector.

mcb

May 6, 2012
Northeastern ohio
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro, Fisher F70, bounty hunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a gold bug pro and I can't recall the other detectors name. The second detector I bought for cheap, a basic starter, also the one my kids use. They've found some awesome coins with it. My younger kids also use a cheap national geographic kids detector which I think is crap but they have found some good stuff with those too.

Anyway, I'd like to add a new metal detector. Can you all advise on which would be best to use. I tend to go with the flow. We (my children and I) have md woods, Parks, beaches, land where homes were torn down, old homes with permission and so on. Its all about fun when we're together, although treasure would be awesome too. I'll be the one using the new detector.

OP
OP
mcb

mcb

May 6, 2012
Northeastern ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The detector I couldn't remember is the IV tracker.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garret Ace 250 or a Tesoro Cibola,both less than $400,are probably the 2 best detectors for a new person to buy.Just ask on this site and their sites.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white's gt or a mxt will do nicely

Adamsr0522

Dec 30, 2012
Cohoes NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and 350,BH Tracker IV and now the Garrett AT Pro and White's VX3.
Just ordered an AT pro from Bart today over at bigboyshobbies.net.

I also have a tracker IV, great machine but was ready for the next step. :)

Killer dude! Had a tracking # in less than 5 minutes.

OP
OP
mcb

mcb

May 6, 2012
Northeastern ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my time checking different detectors out. I finally decided on the Fisher f70. I got it yesterday and started testing it out.

I Dig Jesus

Feb 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster DB / Classic ID / M6 Matrix / & now The Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two of the best basic operating machines that you can still pick up used for a decent price are the whites M6 matrix, the new coin masters are also easy to use. I've also owned a Classic ID which is still an awesome machine. My advice, go into your local pawn shop, or detector dealer just to handle a couple, see how they function, I personally have to have a depth reading, and at least a visual ID display, but that's me. Check them out in person, once you buy, your stuck. Minelab or whites are really the only two brands I would personally consider. One you look at a few it shouldn't be to difficult to figure out why. That's my two cents worth, and good luck to you.

OP
OP
mcb

mcb

May 6, 2012
Northeastern ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I'll need to check out a dealer. I'm determined to get used to my Fisher but always open to better detectors for my kids. They're currently using a tracker and some kiddie ones from national geographic.

Apr 28, 2013
Chillicothe ohio
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, minelab etrac, fisher, teknetics,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At Pro is a great machine and the best part about it that its waterproof up to 10feet.. I have found some really nice things so far with it and i just bought it in 2/2013 1898 barber, 1913 barber dime, 1844 Braided hair large cent and tons of modern coins. I also use the 5x8 dd coil and not the big stock coil that came with it.. I bought from Kellyco and got a lot of extra stuff for the buck.. The Fisher f70 though is a great machine by the way

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
f70

congrates on the f70 i dont have 1 nor have i used one i did hear good things about them good luck hope to c ur finds up :headbang:

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Mason, Ohio (moved from wa)
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, White's XLT, GTI 2500, Ace 250, Titan 2000xd, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the F70, a friend of mine has had his a couple weeks now, I haven't got to try it yet (he wont let go of it haha!) but he swears by it and is doing pretty well last I heard.

OP
OP
mcb

mcb

May 6, 2012
Northeastern ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. It took awhile getting used to but I've found a few things. I posted about my best finds. Otherwise I doubt people want to know about one corroded coin here and there LOL.

russ

Jul 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
fieldmaster fx 55 c scope cs 4pi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
c scope c3 mx is a good machine easy to use ,switch and go, also its not terrible on wet sand and customer service second to none....also my mate uses a whites coin master, finds plenty and doesnt mind the beach...neither, that expensive or complicated...

Last edited:

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the compadre is very light and easy to use

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about around 300 bucks that'll pick up old coins and jewelry. I'm still shooting clad but a few oldies wouldn't be bad. My cheaply only has about 3 inches of dept. so anything more and with a display. Thanks everyone.

BugsyDiggs

Aug 13, 2013
I got a teknetics delta 4000 works great.
I've found lots of clad ,silver and some rings no gold yet. Discrimination is real good too my yard has 1000 nails but no more coins:) and I always make out good with it!! My buddys gettin one too cause he used mine and pulled out silver on the second hit. He's hooked.
Great machine fun times ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread