ace 250 volume mod??

Kevenater

Jan 10, 2007
Cullman, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Wouldn't it be very simple to just add a volume control between the control board and the speaker? I haven't saw anybody mention if this will work or not, even though many have complained about it being way too loud. Sounds very simple, I haven't received my ace250 yet, but will soonafter be trying this unless somebody tells my a reason that it wont work. I kinda doubt I'll like using headphones all the time. Thanks

Guiseppi

Jul 12, 2010
If you have the schematic, one way to put a volume control in is to wire a pot as a variable resistor in the feedback loop of the output amplifier.
This is resistor marked R56, I think, next to U14, and is 100k. A 220k or 470k pot should be OK in parallel, with a tiny drop in max volume.
Reducing the value of this resistor increases the feedback, which lowers the output. A small resistor in series with the pot may also be advisable to stop 100% feedback.
Does anyone have a better quality image of the schematic? I can't read the part numbers on it! :)

I haven't had my ace 250 long enough to crack it open, so I double sided taped some cardboard disks under the foam pads in the Garrett headphones instead, as I read somewhere else online. This works very well, dropping the volume to less than eardrum dinging pinging..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread