Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have a Whites 66TR Goldmaster that I used back in the early eighties.
I ordered new battery holders from Whites a few years ago and they were only about $12 if I remember right.
The machine is in good shape but I havnt used it in years. Think I will put it on E-Bay in the spring.

G

Gone_Bananas

Hey! I just ran across this thread. I found an old Supreme at a garage sale last summer for $15.00. Didn't think anyone still used 'em. Mine still had the original box, the little packet of test items, manual, and a couple of extra parts. Had to have it, even though it was an "oldie"! Still works great, no corroded battery compartments. Heavy as H***, though. But I've still found a few things with it so.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
I've considered simply adding a multiple batter pack to my White's, but I think it would be cheaper in the long run to make one that takes 6 rechargable AA's since I already have a charger for that. And if I find so much that my AA's in the digital camera run down, I can use the ones from the MD.

Whites-and-Garrett-small.gif

Theres my old beasts. Notice the tape on the battery. Yes, the old battery connection is corroded that bad.

F.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Functional said:
I've considered simply adding a multiple batter pack to my White's, but I think it would be cheaper in the long run to make one that takes 6 rechargable AA's since I already have a charger for that. And if I find so much that my AA's in the digital camera run down, I can use the ones from the MD.

Theres my old beasts. Notice the tape on the battery. Yes, the old battery connection is corroded that bad.

F.

I will match next price I see on ebay for a coinmaster 4 plus S&H and you can have mine for the parts

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Skrimpy said:
Functional said:

F.

I will match next price I see on ebay for a coinmaster 4 plus S&H and you can have mine for the parts

Thanks for the offer Skrimpy. So thats how you become a "Hero" member? ;D
If you find a great deal drop me an email and I'll see what I can figure out to take your oldie off your hands. (Then compare that to the reality of my finances.) I'm not sure what the shipping would cost from there to here and have no idea what they sell for on eBay. Its not just the electrical tape holding the battery in the White's that needs attention. I don't quite understand why they had an aluminum shaft almost to the coil.

The Garrett has a similar problem as the White's, with the steel shaft on it going right to the coil. (Notice the shoe lace holding the cover on the Garrett in the picture, every since I misplaced the remaining 2 hand-screws.) I've been hunting around for a plastic replacement to make new handles for both of these and expect I'll find something around here to make some out of. Every time I push up the sensitivity on either of these MD's, I keep thinking that theres alot more dial to turn and that they may be detecting the shaft for the handle.

Oh, if you think Albany is small, this town only has about 1000 people. They don't have much trouble rolling up the sidewalks at night, as theres only a few blocks that actually have sidewalks.

F.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Functional said:
Its not just the electrical tape holding the battery in the White's that needs attention. I don't quite understand why they had an aluminum shaft almost to the coil.

I was just looking at the Whites accessory guide. They have kits to retrofit the old coils and machines to newer shafts...or thats what it appeared to be to me.

point hunter

Feb 1, 2007
West Monroe, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI 2500
Hi. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one raising an old coinmaster from the dead. A friend of mine had one in his storage shed. Battery packs were busted and wires broken. Between Radio Shack and a local electronics store I was able to get all the parts needed for under $20.00 bucks. It took about half a day, but it is working like a charm. I couldn't believe it! I plan on taking it out next week for a serious work out. Just using it in my yard, I was getting signals that my cheapo Radio Shack model had missed. I didn't have time to dig them yet, but hope to soon. Keep posting those finds, we love pictures!

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Skrimpy said:
Functional said:
Its not just the electrical tape holding the battery in the White's that needs attention. I don't quite understand why they had an aluminum shaft almost to the coil.

I was just looking at the Whites accessory guide. They have kits to retrofit the old coils and machines to newer shafts...or thats what it appeared to be to me.

I took a look at those shafts and I'm not sure. Being a DIY guy, I think I'll see what I can concoct with what I have locally. The fiber type of shaft, or some kind of plastic shaft, does seem to be the way to go though.

When I have some free time here, I'll go out and totally remove the shaft and compare the ability to adjust the sensitivity up, to when the aluminum shaft is connected. If I can noticably increase the depth by using a non-metal shaft then I'll make the effort to go that route.

As for the battery situation, it can wait until I get into the city and see whats avialable. The 6 - AA battery holder I saw on the White's website would be the thing for me, but ordering from the U.S., (current exchange rate is $1.17 Canadian to $1.00 U.S.), plus the cost of duty, might make that an expensive proposition. They don't have a Radio Shack in the city, but they should have some other electronics outfits that should stock those holders.

F.

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
I came accross a Coin Master 4 that I need the same battery pack for. Checking it out this week end. Jim

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still using an old 2D, it works fine. I take it where the going is rough, and I need a machine I can depend on.

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
......................how about this "oldie but goodie"

It's a White's 6DB, bought around Feb 1980.

Found 2073 coins & misc the 1st year I used it.
Works great.
it's now a "trophy" on the wall in my rec room..........see ya mark

Attachments

• IM001451.jpg
    IM001451.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 4,613

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey just a quick tip! cut a couple pieces of bicycle inner tube to fit around the battery holders if you get them from Radio Shack. Keeps the springs from splitting the corners off the packs. Just roll the edge of the tube down with your thumb to replace the batteries, no need to take it off.

blamo

Aug 26, 2012
Today I pick up an old Whites Coin Master V Supreme that has been sitting in my basement of a couple of years. This detector belonged to my dad who passed a couple years ago. It needed some minor repairs but worked great once I remembered how to set it up. When I was in my twenties we would take these the detectors out and spend the entire weekend together. We would poke around anything that looked like it would have treasure. Somewhere at his house there is a jar of old coins that we found. Playing with this today reminded me of how much fun it is to pick up a dime that would have been lost forever.
I took it to a small grass area the held a music festival a few weeks ago. I came out with a buck and 53 cents and one earring. If I could have found the other earring I would have called it $3.53. It was not the gold I was looking for.
I had a fun day. I am looking for my next plot to hunt.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My concern is Whites says it is a beach detector on their website with out saying only fresh water beach's, it overloads when it hits salt water...

TedAK

Greenie
Jun 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I purchased an old Whites coinmaster at a garage sale for a few dollars. It came with several coils, one being perhaps 2 feet in diameter. The coils (other than of course the wires) are made out of painted wood. Put in a ton of aa batteries, fired it up and it worked - sort of. I couldn't get it adjusted right. It would tone all of the time except when the coil was over metal and then it would go silent. It did allow me to find a set of keys I had lost and spend about a week on my hands and knees searching for so its already earned its price. Part of the adjustment problem was my inexperience and lack of manual. But another big part of this problem was the potentiometers that you turned for the various controls. The must have been very dirty internally because the adjustment would jump around as you turned the knobs and it was very crackly. I remember there use to be some electrical spray that you could shoot into thing like this, electrical contacts etc to clean them and improve connectivity. I don't remember what it was called or if it is still available or if there is an alternative. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

All the best,
Ted

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,
I purchased an old Whites coinmaster at a garage sale for a few dollars. It came with several coils, one being perhaps 2 feet in diameter. The coils (other than of course the wires) are made out of painted wood. Put in a ton of aa batteries, fired it up and it worked - sort of. I couldn't get it adjusted right. It would tone all of the time except when the coil was over metal and then it would go silent. It did allow me to find a set of keys I had lost and spend about a week on my hands and knees searching for so its already earned its price. Part of the adjustment problem was my inexperience and lack of manual. But another big part of this problem was the potentiometers that you turned for the various controls. The must have been very dirty internally because the adjustment would jump around as you turned the knobs and it was very crackly. I remember there use to be some electrical spray that you could shoot into thing like this, electrical contacts etc to clean them and improve connectivity. I don't remember what it was called or if it is still available or if there is an alternative. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

All the best,
Ted

Contact cleaner. Spray them and work them good and repeat until they are free and quit crackling.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful with the overspray. Some can melt synthetics. Also some contain oils which could foul up the RF circuitry on the board.

I use to use one of the types of LPS (1 or 2 dont remember) in a dropper so it wouldn't go everywhere when you sprayed it.

RonaldBeeler

Jun 19, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not very knowledgeable on stuff like this but thats a pretty cool metal detector haha I hope you are able to fix it up and sorry it came in such a horrible condition, gotta be careful who you buy from on eBay for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread