Whites Coinmaster-oldie but a goodie

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought a Whites Coinmaster V Supreme on eBay for a rather good price. When it finally came yesterday, I was distressed to see the condition.(Must remember-caveat emptor, must remember....)
Anywho, I drilled out the holder and finally got the old corroded battery packs, with batteries still installed, out. I then went to the friendly neighborhood Radio Shack and purchased replacement battery holders and connectors. I couldn't get the exact match for the holders- the eight holder has to stick out so I remounted the pack holder in a different position with pop rivets. The six battery holder wasn't to be had so I used a 4 and a 2 holder and wired 2 connectors together.
I then replaced the broken connectors with new ones and reassembled the machine.
Miracle of miracles! It works great!
I'm going to take it out tommorrow to that high school football field and test drive it.
All together I've got about $70.00-$75.00 invested in the machine.
I had emailed Whites and they said it was made in 1977 and cost $399.00 new. It has only a three digit serial number. I feel like Victor Frankenstein having brought it back to life after who knows how long.
Does anyone have any info or help tips on operating this machine?
Thanks.
Scott

Attachments

• battery packs.jpg
    battery packs.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 6,292
  • battery connectors.jpg
    battery connectors.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 6,037
  • whites.jpg
    whites.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 6,233

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Het Scott, I bought one when they first came out. Very sensitive, It could pickup rust where an iron object used to be. I remember they worked very good on the beach. Tony

bja3908

Aug 19, 2006
galveston tx
I bought a whhites coinmaster new in 1978 or 79. I have a 14 in coil on it that I stell take and use for relic hunting. Let us know what you find GOOD LUCK

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mojjax,
I've already downloaded and printed the manual. Thanks.
I remember as a teenager seeing an older gentleman using a Coinmaster and finding lots of coins.
Scott

F

fleamistress

I gave my Bicentennial to another member. Maybe he'll loan it to me afterr he spruces it up. :P

nyC

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
D,
still have my Coinmaster 3900D ;D

Hope you get that puppy up and find
a bunch.

have a good un...............
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Whites Coinmaster-oldie but a goodie UPDATE!

Went today to that football field for the test drive.
Found over 30 coins and a steling ring with 6 brilliant cut 6 point marcasite stones.
Boy, that old monster sure gets heavy and eats up batteries, too. Next time I'll be sure to take extras. But, overall, I really like the machine and will probably use it just as much as the other two.
Scott

Attachments

• whites found 1.20.07.jpg
    whites found 1.20.07.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 5,758

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent ! Nice pile !

mojjax

papa

Sep 21, 2006
I still have my White's 2000/D coinmaster.Still going strong. Best of luck.

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
Kool one, DTC!! 8) Great finds on yer test drive as well, more proof. What an amazingly low cash outlay for one of the great ol' workhorses. Sharp eyes and good timing pays off large in this case 2 B sure, buddy. Amazing re-work job on that poor ol' neglected Whites there too. are you like, the techno-geek or what?!! 8) Great pics to show us it's sorry state, so us not-too-techys, can see what kinda miracles a good man can pull off with a little determination and perhaps a little budding love, for a semi-famous coin sniffin half-relic <TM>. 8) ;D I can well relate to that because I too, am runnin' an older magic stick Daddyman. ;D Yep, I've even been known to fondly call her my, "DinoSoro", right there in front of some of my past coin huntin' buds, as they stood jawin' with me 'bout their hot new stick and just how good it would produce for them, etc etc. ;D ;D

Ya see TopCat, I weren't born last month, ;D so I've been sayin' to folks for at least the last two decades, that a good man, with an older machine, that KNOWS that machine, CAN at least, hold his own, with almost anything out there that's brand new last week, especially if the man swingin' it, is way youger than myself. ::) ;D ;)

By the way DTC, my friend, I've always been a firm believer in being willing & able to "back my yak", for the sake of the non-believers, who might think this ol duffer's blowin' smoke. ;D :D Ya see, many a time I've had to open the eyes of the doubters, weilding those so called HotSticks, right there on their own turf, just for all of us to enjoy the results, at the end of the day. 8)

Outings like those are some of the real and long lastingTreasures which I've uncovered, cherished and kept, over the years. Good companion memories. Not because I could hold my own, or prove my worth whenever I felt it was necessary to have to do that. For me dude, it's more like seeing a young buck's eyes , hands full of High-techery, open REAL wide, when they see his machine, which is set for whichever way he hunts, just can't find the faint, yet sireen like call (for DinoSoro at least ;D ) of the hidden target, where mine did, at MY settings. That eye-opening stuff is what Rocks it for this little ol Kanuk! 8) 8) Oh, by the way, I DO NOT run auto ground cancel, for any of you that may be wondering. ??? I've always loved to be able to fine tune and or fiddle with any and all of my outdoors equipement. I know that, that is how I work best. ;) Sorry :( that this has become so darn long. :-[ I'll try to keep them shorter... ;D

For any of you older Car guys out there, it's like comparable to say, me still runnin' my ol '67 Cougar XR7 GT, muscle car, but runnin' it on the streets to-day, with what ever ya'll keep sayin' is newer&better... ::) ??? 8)

Hope that don't ruffle ANY feathers 'cause of course, it's all just one little ol kanuk's opinion, about how things go sometimes. 8)

Man, thank you TNet again, for providing such a marvelous place for all of us to meet and talk! and talk and talk and.... :) :) :)

Here's a pic of my good ol' girl, taking a wee break, for all you other, semi-relic<TM> lovers out there. ;D ;D

Lb

Attachments

• Dinosoro.jpg
    Dinosoro.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 5,439
OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larry,
No, I'm really not a techno-geek, although I've heard the term geek when I was in high school being asked to join the chess club....
But that was several years BC(before computers). Used to be able to slide a mean ruler....
Whenever I start to get full of myself, I just remind myself that when I was born, there wasn't even 50 states yet.
Yes, I'm an old schooler, and the thought of those new magic wands with all their bells and whistles scares the beJesus out of me. Seems like it would just be more things that could go wrong.
There's no comparison in my mind between an experienced searcher swinging his favorite old stick and knowing it's sounds from years of use to a kid with more disposable income than the national debt who got the "latest greatest" machine and doesn't even know how to tune it.
But, that's just me.
Happy hunting!
Scott

kd8hf

Nov 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Classic ID
Great story and nothing wrong with older machines, as a matter of fact, I always keep my eye out for them
at yard sales and such. ;)

Gary

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My finds with the old Whites up to now, 02-08-07.
130+ coins, a ring, a pewter figure and a couple of whatsits.
Scott

Attachments

• whites 2-8-07.jpg
    whites 2-8-07.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 5,550

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
I've got the Coinmaster 4...used to be my grandpas. I have the same problem with it having a corroded battery pack. I just taped it up and it worked but I do not think it will last long if anyone wants it. Whatever market value + SH would be.

kd8hf

Nov 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Classic ID
Skrimpy,

That machine could last a long time if you can replace those old corroded items.

It may make a nice backup.

HH

Gary

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Daddytopcat said:
My finds with the old Whites up to now, 02-08-07.
130+ coins, a ring, a pewter figure and a couple of whatsits.
Scott

Keep 'em coming. Always nice to see an old Whites at work. I'm not sure how old my Whites Coinmaster is, but I'm guessing its an early 80's vintage. Keep meaning to check on it next time I'm out at my shed/workshop. If I recall correctly, mine only takes one 9 volt battery. No instrumentation on it neither other than the combo on/off sensitivity knob. Accessories include one headphone jack and one loud speaker. I rescued the Whites and a Garrett from a recycling bin where my friend works and only had a couple days to try them out before the weather ,,, well it turned damn cold, so I'm waiting til spring before I pick one or the other for different uses.

Your going to need a website to post all those pictures soon if you keep turning up coins like that.

Good Luck!

F.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread