Night detecting

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried using cap lights, headlamps etc only to have the giant swarm of insects trying to eat my face. Some time ago I bought and attached rifle/shotgun flashlight onto the detector so I can see the ground as I'm going and it works great but trying to see the screen with bloodthirsty bugs wasn't any fun.i figured it out..i attached a Winchester flexi bore light to the arm cuff of my ATP with zip ties, adjusted the flex light till it was out of the way but pointed directly at the screen and no bugs in the face. A $5 WalMart item and a little MacGyverism. Uses 1 AAA battery so easy to replace. It works very well especially for the price. my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

russ

Jul 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
fieldmaster fx 55 c scope cs 4pi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
have u tried fly repellent wipes just to keep em off exposed skin? work pretty well, also I don t use display screens on my detector just use the headphones, you can locate and dig the target without any light, just a quick flick of light to pinpoint when your ready.I actually find it easier to locate in darkness as there s no distractions. Ope you sort your fly prob mate , you seem pretty knowledgeable with guns ...tried firing a few rounds off to scare the crap out of the bugs first?......

Tirana

Greenie
Aug 23, 2013
Turkey
Detector(s) used
C.Scope VLF1000; Tesoro Bandido; Whites DFX-MXT-XLT-TM808-Spectra V3i-M6; OKM Future 2005-Exp3000-Exp4000-Bionic-FS Thermoscan.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rarely use a light. Go out on cloudless nights. When I get home I look at my finds.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Tirana has it right: Don't use back-lights, headlamps, etc... None of that. Lest your vision and pupils become adjust to "just that beam of light", and pretty soon .... you become blind to all else around you. Better to just let your eyes adjust to the moon and star-light. That's good enough to not walk into bushes or trees, etc... And when you find a coin or object you want to view, THEN you pull out your pen-light to look at individual objects.

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But Tom, what about the boogy man? I feel you are opening yourself up for an attack if you are not using a light at all times.

Seriously, I do use an LED light attached to the lower shaft so I can see where im walking and as you said I pop the headlight on just to view for a moment. I have no problems walking in a known area in the dark but I've stepped into holes dug by foxes and groundhogs and twisted ankles, that will end your night quick.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

wirenut

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2013
Little Elm, TX
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also detect at night just because here in Texas it gets so hot in the summer. I have made a simple gadget that plugs into the headphone jack on my Ace250but this will work on any metal detector.
I built a simple transistor switching circuit inside a headphone jack plug that connects to the switch of a flashlight, the flashlight is mounted part way up the arm of my 250. The best thing about this mod is that the flashlight only comes on when i get a hit!

Finn74

Dec 16, 2012
I also detect at night just because here in Texas it gets so hot in the summer. I have made a simple gadget that plugs into the headphone jack on my Ace250but this will work on any metal detector.
I built a simple transistor switching circuit inside a headphone jack plug that connects to the switch of a flashlight, the flashlight is mounted part way up the arm of my 250. The best thing about this mod is that the flashlight only comes on when i get a hit!

And could we please see a pic of this light of yours. Sounds interesting....
Thx

Rogerv

Jan 25, 2013
Beltsville Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garret GTA-1000
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Bounty Hunter (came as BOGO from Kellyco)
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Could you post or PM me with the specs for your mod it sounds very interesting.

Roger

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could you post or PM me with the specs for your mod it sounds very interesting.

Roger

this is a old post as wirenut has not posted anything since 2013 just to let you know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread