AT pro larger coil

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure exactly, but I have never taken off the smaller one since I got it!! Much better balance, lighter, and I don't feel like I give up much in depth at all, Yesterday dug a 77 signal, at 8-10 inches..................1937 Wheat pennie. Many, many more will agree with me, I'm sure. The smaller DD should be the stock coil, on the ATP. I have three coils( Both DD's, and the Sniper coil) and the only one I use is the smaller DD

Last edited:
OP
OP
creade

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you have the larger dd and don't use it?

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, Have not put it back on at all!! And have used the Sniper for about an hour!
So you have the larger dd and don't use it?

OP
OP
creade

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What didn't you like about it?

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a larger dd coil gathering dust in the back of my truck. I see no reason to go back to that coil. I used it for almost 2 years before buying the smaller one.

The smaller coil has superior pinpointing and trash separation. Light as a feather. Seems like better battery life also.

To paraphrase Isma from Emperors New Groove "Why do I even have that big coil?":dontknow:

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently got a net Teknetics T2 and buried a dime at 8 inches to test it. At first the hole was too deep when I measured so I filled in a little and stuck it at 8. The 11 inch coil gave a good audio and fair VDI without having to crank the sensitivity too high and pinpointed at 8 inches so I was well pleased. Decided to see if their was a prayer of the 5 inch coil getting it and BAM it sang out as well as the 11. When I came back to try some more settings I noticed the hole had sank in a bit since the last rain and the dime now shows 9 inches instead of 8 on the big coil which I don't doubt as it was too deep at first and has settled. The little 5 inch coil still gets it as well as the 11, and in boost will allow you to raise the coil a good 3 or 4 inches with it tuned stable enough to hunt with. I have been pulling a few bullets out of a field that was last planted for tomatoes 3 or 4 years ago. It had saplings as big as your wrist and heavy stubble that is 4 or 5 inches in many places. The little coil is much easier to maneuver in this really rough stuff and much easier to hunt the heavy trash with as their was once a school and a home on it. I still think the 11 might hit it a tiny bit harder and allow you to raise the coil higher in boost but it is so close I am not sure. LONG story short the 5 inch coil rocks. I hunt a lot of pastures etc and no doubt the 11 is better for ground coverage but in thick woods, rough terrain, and trash the little coil is the only way to go on the T2.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you ...I have used the "Stock" larger coil on my machine for 2 years...I found some nice things with it....but after i got the smaller Coil...i took it to the trashy parks i was hunting and it made a HUGE difference. Plus im still pulling out tiny little buttons 10" easy with the small coil.

I think they are both good coils...but serve a different purpose.

If you are in a trashy area...the small coil is the only way to go....If you are hunting a Farm..or a large area that isnt Too bad...the the big coil is good to cover ground...Thats just my opinion

But I know i wont be putting the big coil back on anytime soon.

good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions