Dec 2, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster GT
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I just got a Coinmaster GT (LOVE it) for a joint Christmas/Birthday present, and I was wondering if it would bepossible to waterproof a Fisher F2.
Now that I have a superior detector for land/beach, I was wondering if I could waterproof my old F2 for some freshwater hunting in rivers. If I found a super nice ring or something like that, I'd just get an AT Pro/Gold or something with the money I'd make, but as of now I have little to spend (too young to get a job in my county). So my budget would be something along the lines of dirt cheap, and the most I'd be willing to spend would be about $20. And, I don't have a dremel, but I can use my dad's Power drill set(s) and bits that go up to 1/2 inch.

The way I was thinking about doing this would be with putty, a dremel (I'll find something else to use), and a waterproof box or somwthing like that that would open and close over the display and stuff, but the putty would be far from permanent and may not even be completely waterproof.

Aybody have any suggestions? My biggest DIY project is probably a copper/zinc penny seperator for coinroll hunting with use of fine-tuned weights and popsicle sticks (which broke when my dog chewed on it), so my DIY know-how is limited, as are my materials, and tools, and budget.

The Fisher F2 is also very sensitive, and I would have to adjust the sensitivity perhaps frequently, so it would have to be an at least semi accessible encasement. I know the coil is waterproof, so all that I would need to waterproof is the battery compartment, and headphone jack (which I never use), where the coil connects to the computer, the speakers, and perhaps the edges around the display. It does not necessarily have to be an encasement, but I would like it to be permanent? Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
mineralized_miner

Barkeater

Jan 13, 2014
NE
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with F4 DD coil. Garrett AT-Gold with stock 5x8 & NEL BIG 15x17 coil. White's MX Sport. Vibra probe pin pointer(RIP)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question imo. I have an F2 & didn't know the coil is waterproof. Thanks for mentioning that! Water is tough to stop. I'm thinking fiberglass (not auto body filler) instead of putty. They use glass to repair canoes & small boats. You'd need to build up several layers but I think it would work. Only an idea. You got me thinking. Some tackle boxes are water tight when closed. That would make a good encasement. Then seal up any holes you make in it with the fiberglass.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an F5 and the wife an F2.

I've thought about this a lot. Maybe it could be done- I'm sure it could we (mankind) put a guy on the moon and built the Great Wall, pyramids, and the SR-71- it could be done.

But could you or I do it?- cost and time effectively? And then the test? Will it survive?

There are some O-ring kits ( make-a- size type) that could used for the largest portion of the job- maybe......silicone could be an option too.

The battery compartment would probably be the toughest part- if not the the coil plug. But there's probably small openings around the plastic where the LCD screen fits together too-

Then there's the pressure factor, after you do all the work, it might be sealed enough for rain or splashes, maybe even 3 feet of water?!?! But what about 5 or 7 or even 10 feet?

It's a lot to consider, and even more work will be unveiled during the course of doing the job you thought was a lot of work to begin with.

Tell you what- I get paid to build, maintain, and service in anyway you can imagine, equipment that cost millions of dollars...

If its not fair weather for digging tomorrow I'll crack open the F2 and take a look -and give you my professional opinion if I think it would be cost, and time efficient- I personally won't spend more than 10 hours doing it- I could earn enough to buy a new MD in that time?!?!

But that may not be a factor for you guys- I'll look and tell you if I think it could be done and actually work as it should.

Last edited:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say work on finding the ring and buy the proper tool for the job. Your GT is going to do you in the dirt, dry sand and a foot of water.. You may want to come up with a stand for the GT so if you are working the shallow edge of the water and are digging a target the batteries and controller don't end up in the water.

TTJNAYLOR

Greenie
Mar 26, 2014
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for a product called blue sea systems cable clam (not clamp). They come in different sizes, make sure your cable connector will pass through, may have to modify opening a bit and one for your headphones (if you use them) put it all in a water proof lexan box and BINGO..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread