Increasing turning resistance of MXT Pro knobs-maybe others

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know a lot of people have used O-rings under control knobs to help keep them from turning too easily. I had the problem with my MXT Pro where the knobs would get out of adjustment probably when I set it down or bumped it. I couldn't find any O-rings in my garage but I did have a spare Delta faucet repair kit. I used those little rubber faucet seals under the knobs and it seems to work great. I just put the skirted side down toward the nuts. So far no problems and the knobs now require a firm twist to move them. In my case I used a small screwdriver to help pry around the edges while I pulled the knobs. If you do that be sure to use a rag to protect the finish. Push the seals over the shafts and be sure to place the knobs in the correct position so they point properly to the markings on the case. Just turn the control shaft fully in one direction so you can tell where the indicator should point to at one end of the control range.

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a decent Ace Hardware near you, go to their hardware section, and all of those lovely yellow drawers. One of them contains thin spring washer sets. Place those under the knob, and put the know back on. unlike o-rings, the pressure is fairly constant, and for my money, work a lot better.

JR in Hohenwald TN.

Mar 15, 2009
O-Rings are the way to go. I know when I relic hunt the Vaquero's knobs would get bumped as I hunt the nastiest and hardest to hit areas I can get into. The vines,limbs and trees would knock the off settings. So I got a o-ring kit with alot of tiny different sizes. Just the trick, now they stay put.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread