my internal ace250 backlight

GuANu

Mar 11, 2007
Panama City Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, X-Terra 50
well its my one of my first posts here, just got my metal detector about a week ago.

since my first hunt was during the night, I thought garrett missed out on putting a backlight on the unit, so I took it upon myself to add one, I initially wanted it fully internal, and turn on with the unit, but the test points on the circuit board that tested at the correct voltage I needed, messed the unit up from the draw of the LEDs.. so I knew I had to make it externally powered (using the batteries that are part of the unit).
only thing I had to figure out is where to get a small enough switch, how to power the LED, and how to make it look covert... so I took apart an old Cold Heat soldering iron i got for xmas 2 years ago since I dont use it. even had the LED I needed already attached and a mini circuit board that did all my resistances all set up for the 4 AA batteries that the ace uses.. perfect.. anyways, on to the pics, just wanted to say hi and I'm a newbie learning still..

G

backlight:

Switch mounting location under speaker:

P1010230.jpg

mini circuit board mounting location and wiring:

P1010231.jpg

LED on:

P1010233.jpg

Backlight installed:

P1010248.jpg

thanks for viewing

G

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
That is smooth! I did a panel light myself, but I like yours even better! Only problem is I'm afraid to ever open up my 250........I'm sending it out to the factory as we speak, it died out a couple days ago. I doubt it was from opening, but I'll be somewhat hesitant to re-open it depending on how much a fix will cost. Nice work!

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im liking that...might try that .... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
i sure don't have any electrical skills but would do it if i had your talent! for me, i'd probably use the headlamp i use for hiking or fishing. i arrive at lakes usually before sun up and use my headlamp. in the evenings i use it to read in my tent at night.

Rogerv

Jan 25, 2013
Beltsville Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garret GTA-1000
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Bounty Hunter (came as BOGO from Kellyco)
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They sell at walmart in the sporting goods dept for $8 it was on sale at Christmas for $5 a Winchester brand light for checking gun bores single led with flexible shaft takes 2 AA batteries. Easy to attach to shaft and you don't void your warranty.

fraxinus

Jun 3, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Would you show or explain where you placed the LED? I've made two attempts at adding 'backlighting'. I cannot find anywhere the LEDs fit and illuminate the display.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread