coil protection

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a coil cover on my Sand Shark in the water and wet sand all the time without any problems at all. No caulk, silicone, nothing but two pieces of scotch tape to make sure it doesn't come off in the surf. I wash it out every couple of uses.

OP
OP
W

william1

Aug 30, 2006
Terry I had 3 or 4 detectors that Ive used at the beach and every one if them would become very erratic if you get water between the coil and coil cover

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry I had 3 or 4 detectors that Ive used at the beach and every one if them would become very erratic if you get water between the coil and coil cover

I have to assume they were all single-frequency VLF detectors then, and not really suited to saltwater detecting.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excaliber, Whites PI,Whites dual field

"Water" between the coil cover and the coil will NOT affect the Excalibur or the Dual Field. Sounds like some other problem.

TunnelRat

Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure the coil and cover are dry and then use some latex silicone around the seam where the coil cover meets the coil. The silicone will stay flexible enough to not crack and it will seal water-tight so grit and moisture won't get to the coil. Happy hunting.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Water" between the coil cover and the coil will NOT affect the Excalibur or the Dual Field. Sounds like some other problem.

Problem is it's not just water, it's usually water with bits of sand, or whatever else got picked up. I've also had problems with coil covers in the salt water.

Instead I use truckbed liner, flex seal, etc and spray a thick coat on the bottom of the coil.

bungyboy

Aug 22, 2014
Southeast of Disorder
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I just wind teflon plumbers pipe tape around and around the coil until my scuff plate squeezes on with a little pressure.

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
will a cheap Frisbee or a size appropriate lid work

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coil covers work just fine and are cheap enough already. Not sure what all the huhho is about

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem is it's not just water, it's usually water with bits of sand, or whatever else got picked up. I've also had problems with coil covers in the salt water.

Instead I use truckbed liner, flex seal, etc and spray a thick coat on the bottom of the coil.
Was just about to start a new thread, and ask if anyone has tried the flex seal yet as a coil cover. A couple months ago I ordered a cover for my SE Pro and was pretty up set when the piece of crap would not fit. I talked to the dealer and they told me it was a tight fit, but it would work. After another 2 hours of wasting my time, I gave up. On one of Excals, I used marine epoxy and covered it with spray on bed liner and this has worked very well, just add a new coat of bed liner each year. So wondered if anyone has used the flex seal and how well it works ? Kevin

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was just about to start a new thread, and ask if anyone has tried the flex seal yet as a coil cover. A couple months ago I ordered a cover for my SE Pro and was pretty up set when the piece of crap would not fit. I talked to the dealer and they told me it was a tight fit, but it would work. After another 2 hours of wasting my time, I gave up. On one of Excals, I used marine epoxy and covered it with spray on bed liner and this has worked very well, just add a new coat of bed liner each year. So wondered if anyone has used the flex seal and how well it works ? Kevin

Fisher/Teknetics changed their 5"DD coils a couple of years ago. The same cover won't fit both anymore. I went around and around with a dealer too, she said try hot water and push harder lol. I talked to Fisher, they shipped me the right new cover no questions asked. Awesome customer service.

james199

Feb 7, 2016
Daytona Beach
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use spray on truck bed liner. I put 6 good coats and it took 3 days to get fully cure but works awesome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread