Anyone know how to change out the view screen on a Fisher CZ-5 ?

Jan 23, 2014
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Whites MXT and Tesoro Silver Sabre Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a very beat up junker [cosmetically] from a for sale ad, that said "VERY NICE"
I was too trusting, or stupid to ask for some closeup pictures, so I ended up with a very unsightly CZ-5
Anyway, I can live with all the scratches and discolorations etc, but the ID screen is so scratched and scuffed-plus had a layer of debris [dust-crap?] on even the inside, that I'd like to change it out, so I can see the meter. Anyone ever do this? If so, can you tell me how?
I don't want to attempt anything, without advice.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Rip Off CZ-5 I got! (23).jpg
    Rip Off CZ-5 I got! (23).jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 136

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a window in front of the meter?
(I don't have a CZ)

I assume plastic, one of those headlight restoration kits. (Ive used toothpaste before but it may mess it up worse)

Or find a piece of plexiglass and make a new one. Or be cool and go to a window shop or picture frame dealer and cut a new piece of glass.

There's a lot of things you can do, be patient and others will have suggestions.

Or call Fisher, you may be surprised.

Maybe post this on the Fisher thread also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C
Jan 23, 2014
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a window in front of the meter?
(I don't have a CZ)

I assume plastic, one of those headlight restoration kits. (Ive used toothpaste before but it may mess it up worse)

Or find a piece of plexiglass and make a new one. Or be cool and go to a window shop or picture frame dealer and cut a new piece of glass.

There's a lot of things you can do, be patient and others will have suggestions.

Or call Fisher, you may be surprised.

Maybe post this on the Fisher thread also.

Thanks Steve!
I talked to Tom Dankowski - the inventor of the CZ-3d while working at Fisher.
He suggested I not try doing it. I will most likely have problems. So, I'm gonna just live with it. BUT, I may try the toothpaste thing! I did that on my car headlights already!
Thanks!
Chuck

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve!
I talked to Tom Dankowski - the inventor of the CZ-3d while working at Fisher.
He suggested I not try doing it. I will most likely have problems. So, I'm gonna just live with it. BUT, I may try the toothpaste thing! I did that on my car headlights already!
Thanks!
Chuck

Any luck Chuck?

OP
OP
C
Jan 23, 2014
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. I carefully tried a bit of toothpaste in a corner and it helped just a tiny bit-so I did the whole screen. It improved ever so slightly. Most of what is visible is on the back side of the screen. Not that the outside isn't loaded with hundreds of scratches-it is!
Here's a closeup of the screen. I can see what's going on-if I look carefully while hunting though!
Someone else suggested a screen cover-like for cell phones, so I have one coming from E-auctions now. CZ Rip Off Tony Pana - screen 002.jpg

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange. Wonder how it got screwed up.
Good luck

OP
OP
C
Jan 23, 2014
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy I bought it from was not the kind of person who takes care of his detectors.
He posted it as "VERY NICE" it was trash!
I got the screen protector, that someone suggested, because it cleared up their scratchy CZ screen and sure enough!
It is at least twice as clear as it was before! It's called "Invisible Shield" and I am VERY impressed! If it wasn't for the dirt on the inside of the screen, it would be darn near clear!!!

Strange. Wonder how it got screwed up.
Good luck

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great.

I always thought since the cellphone people can give you gorilla glass on a cellphone they almost give away, the detecting companies could put gorilla glass on a $1000 detector.

All my Fishers have cheap plastic windows, easily scratched with dirty fingers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread