dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay but ur gonna pay for one. I just sold one and got over 400.

OP
OP
bountyhunter04

bountyhunter04

May 7, 2006
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V
Not sure if one is worth that too me or not! Lol wonder why they quit making them?

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab up the price of the upper shaft..that's what I heard

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Minelab up the price of the upper shaft..that's what I heard
That was the explanation from the company. But the price of the upper shaft hasn't increased much if any since the introduction of the FBS machines. I really believe it was other reasons like patent infringement or something similar?

Machinist

Dec 19, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X1 Probe, 11" DD coil, & 10x5" SEF coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was the explanation from the company. But the price of the upper shaft hasn't increased much if any since the introduction of the FBS machines. I really believe it was other reasons like patent infringement or something similar?

I bought mine on Ebay from a guy who owns a MD shop and knows the guy who builds them. According to him what happened is Minelab would not sell them in a bulk discount as they were doing. The manufacturer would have to pay retail price for every shaft and that would really raise the cost of the units. I really like mine though, on a review note!!

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I bought mine on Ebay from a guy who owns a MD shop and knows the guy who builds them. According to him what happened is Minelab would not sell them in a bulk discount as they were doing. The manufacturer would have to pay retail price for every shaft and that would really raise the cost of the units. I really like mine though, on a review note!!
That may be true? But the upper shaft is like $68 retail. So even if he was buying them for half that and needed to raise his price $34 then we would still be buying them. Used ones have been going for $375 to even $400. I got scared of mine and sold it because it was out of warranty. I just figured I would sell it while the prices were high because I wasn't convinced that Sunray would always service them. Minelab needs to make a wireless pinpointer with the receiver that plugs into the usb plug. That would be cool!
PS: Really if the upper shaft was too much money then all Sunray had to do was to tell the buyer to send them an upper shaft. Problem solved.....

Last edited:

Machinist

Dec 19, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, good point. I do not have any knowledge on its price history. They had already quite making them when I got mine. He and I just got into a discussion on them because I had noticed how people were just buying them up then and that the guy should make them again. That is when he told me that. I just wanted one I did not have to take the headphones off for. I like your USB idea!

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Who better to make a probe for the Minelabs than Minelab. I think all manufacturers are missing the boat not making probes for their machines.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't believe that for a second because what's another $20. I do find it interesting Sunray stopped making them right about the same time the prof-find came out. As for both, I actually sold my brand new never used X-1 to buy a Pro-find. The Sunray can't handle the moisture and the repairs from what I understand are not cheap, and I even wonder how long they would fix the thing for you. I mounted my new probe on my shaft just the same way as the Sunray and am very happy with it, and don't regret my choice at all. I did prefer how easy it was to flick the switch on the Sunray compared to the push button, but I'll gladly accept that to have the water resistance, and a product they continue to make and will fix at a reasonable cost. And just for the record I was a long time X-1 user and liked it a lot, but i just think the Minelab is now the better choice.... at least for me.

Machinist

Dec 19, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe that for a second because what's another $20.

That is what I was wondering when Khouse replied above. I was not looking to make anyone believe anything. The discussion was about how the shafts were thought to be reason why they stopped making them, so I thought I would share what I was "told". I just liked it because when hunting parks, etc that I have to use headphones in I do not have to take them on and off to hear the pointer. I also like the fact that it works with the selected discrimination screen.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what I was wondering when Khouse replied above. I was not looking to make anyone believe anything. The discussion was about how the shafts were thought to be reason why they stopped making them, so I thought I would share what I was "told". I just liked it because when hunting parks, etc that I have to use headphones in I do not have to take them on and off to hear the pointer. I also like the fact that it works with the selected discrimination screen.

I meant I don't believe that as an official reason, nothing to do with believing any individual on here.

My grey ghosts block a lot of outside noise, but with the combination of sound and vibration the pro-find is no problem to use.

Having a probe that discriminates is not as big a deal as I thought it would be, and as I said I was a long time sunray user. If it wasn't for the issues I listed above I would still be using one, but now the pro-find is just a better choice for me.

Machinist

Dec 19, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I see. Sorry I misunderstood! Thanks for sharing your experience with the pointers!! I will keep it in mind if I have to replace mine. I also like that I do not have to carry extra batteries for the pointer. I wish Minelab would build one just like the Sunray. It is just so convenient having it all there together. They could sell it as an upgrade!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread