ATPro and nel coil?

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the NEL Sharpshooter as well as the NEL Tornado on one of my AT Pros and think they are a great coil. The Tornado was really inexpensive and has helped me pull ALOT of deep silver dimes out of areas I have hunted for years. I have since also purchased the sharpshooter and tornado coils for my Minelab E trac since they have done so well for me on the AT pro. I find that the coils are stable and pin point easily. The VID numbers stay pretty true but may wander just a point or two on deeper targets.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have the Nel Storm coil. Love it. Finding lots of silver dimes in hunted out parks. Not only better depth but better coverage. Using it found 2 half dimes last year one was at 7 inches and it was a good solid hit

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the hunter and sharpshooter for my AT pro and was picking stuff up easy 14" all day long even hitting a 36 caliber round ball at 18" which was one of the worst digs ever..roots etc but I got it

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just received my NEL Sharpshooter (not for an AT Pro, though) and I am very pleased with construction and design. Can't really say how it will perform as all I have done is some indoor testing but I think it's going to be a great coin shooter coil.

From the reviews I looked at before I went with the NEL they seem to be a great option.

OP
OP
wv hilljack

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your replies. I have only got to go out once with them so far. We've had snow and freezing weather since then. I like reading everybody's experiences with them.

OP
OP
wv hilljack

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial metal detectors or look on E Bay

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone else with any personal experience with one of these coils over the factory coil? Wondering if it is worth the cost of the coil version what i can get out of the stock coil?

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Live in a pretty metro area with a few old parks. But because of the high population they have been pounded over the years, and are fairly trashy. Decided to purchase the NEL Attack coil for my At Pro after using the stock 8"X11" Double D, which has been good to me. But I felt that I needed to go deeper to make these hunted out spots viable again. First day out I hit a seated dime at 9" in a pounded out town common. First silver I've ever pulled out of there. Can't say enough good things about this coil. Downsides are that it is considerably heavier, but fine in a park situation. Also, very hard to pinpoint in high trash areas for obvious reasons. It's a big coil, and very sensitive, so it's a little tricky in trashy areas, but it is a double d, so if you're patient, you can get in between some of these targets. When I hit the seated, I knew immediately that it was a silver coin. Was reading at 83/84 at 8+ inches. Called my buddy over because I wanted to see if he could get the signal on his E Trac with his stock coil, which he did, but it was very tiny and faint. Could have easily walked over that signal. Once I dug down too I realized there was a 3.5" encrusted square nail about 4" away at the same depth. So again, I couldn't be happier with this coil so far. I purchased it from Colonial Metal Detectors, and can't say enough good things about them either. I purchased my coil at about midnight on the evening of Thanksgiving. I was detecting with it by that Saturday. With the free shipping to boot. Hope somebody finds this helpful when deciding to upgrade, and/or where to order from. My whole experience was worth every penny thus far. Cheers and HH.

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My attack coil should be here soon. Ill let yall know how it works when i get to put it to the ground.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sent back my Attack coil due to the weight it was to heavy for my liking. Instead ordered the Hunter much much better. Just used it once so far, so no incredible finds so far, but have dug up 12" 82-84 trash hits. Uggggh :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you know how a coil works the bigger coil will hit bigger targets much deeper like a quarter half or silver dollar however you will lose depth on dimes and other small targets i have the attack coil

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you know how a coil works the bigger coil will hit bigger targets much deeper like a quarter half or silver dollar however you will lose depth on dimes and other small targets i have the attack coil

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

You'll still be able to hit deeper dimes with theses coils, They are amazing, that's why I use the bigger coils they get me deeper coins dimes included also they cover m0re of an area thus also increasing your finds

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted the following under the Brands (Garrett) section of forum, below are my thoughts after few days using the NEL storm. I have switched back to stock coil I will use the storm when I search large areas, at this point it want be my everday coil.

Received the NEL storm coil Monday, I ordered the lower shaft and hardware kit for my AT Pro so make it easier to change between stock coil and the storm coil. Initial observations coil is a bit heavier, it takes a bit getting use to, the main thing is slowing down one’s swing speed. I have I used the storm to over an area that I have hunted quit a bit and found additional coins with the storm. I found the storm to work well in a trashy park area, I detect in Pro-Zero with no discrimination I listen using my head phones to sort out the trash from good finds, yes I still dig trash but you never know what your are going to find if you do not dig. I did do a brief water hunt today and found the larger coil bit difficult to keep it from floating up, for now I will keep the larger coil on for a while longer. I do want to do some beach hunting with the storm.

When I installed the coil did the factory reset, when I ground balance I lower the sensitivity down two to three bars and then raise to full sensitivity to full after balancing, have had no problems with chatter, actually think I may have had less chatter with the storm than the stock. I have been back and forth on getting the 5 X 8 coil which I may do in the future but for now the storm and the stock seem to be doing a great job.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted the following under the Brands (Garrett) section of forum, below are my thoughts after few days using the NEL storm. I have switched back to stock coil I will use the storm when I search large areas, at this point it want be my everday coil.

Received the NEL storm coil Monday, I ordered the lower shaft and hardware kit for my AT Pro so make it easier to change between stock coil and the storm coil. Initial observations coil is a bit heavier, it takes a bit getting use to, the main thing is slowing down one’s swing speed. I have I used the storm to over an area that I have hunted quit a bit and found additional coins with the storm. I found the storm to work well in a trashy park area, I detect in Pro-Zero with no discrimination I listen using my head phones to sort out the trash from good finds, yes I still dig trash but you never know what your are going to find if you do not dig. I did do a brief water hunt today and found the larger coil bit difficult to keep it from floating up, for now I will keep the larger coil on for a while longer. I do want to do some beach hunting with the storm.

When I installed the coil did the factory reset, when I ground balance I lower the sensitivity down two to three bars and then raise to full sensitivity to full after balancing, have had no problems with chatter, actually think I may have had less chatter with the storm than the stock. I have been back and forth on getting the 5 X 8 coil which I may do in the future but for now the storm and the stock seem to be doing a great job.
Pin points very we;; a;so

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll still be able to hit deeper dimes with theses coils, They are amazing, that's why I use the bigger coils they get me deeper coins dimes included also they cover m0re of an area thus also increasing your finds
Call Nel they will explain the halo and how dimes will not be deeper than the stock coil I have used the attack for 2 years I know

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Just went on a beach hunt
(fresh water, not salt water)
I found many clad coins over 12" deep including dimes with a CORS Giant on my AT Pro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread