Flex seal spray cover

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure most if you have seen the commercial for flex seal spray sealant..you know where the guy cuts a hole in a boat and seals it with flex seal and it floats with no leaks.
Club president used one of his 16 detectors a Garrett gti 1500 & didn't notice the crack he had running along the seam of the coil and detected at the beach..needless to say it kept falsing from saltwater seeping in the coil. After days of cleaning out then drying the coil worked but needed sealing that's where the flex sea came in. I sprayed two coats after a light sanding and the coil looks like brand new and is sealed very well and the coating is durable enough to be used as a coil cover. If you guys have a coil out of warranty and want it to look new or fill in cracks etc flex seal seems to work well.

Attachments

• WP_20150305_001.jpg
    WP_20150305_001.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 447

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, thank you very much for the tip and the photo.

It looks like you did a great job, nice and professional looking.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting solution to a problem.

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flex Seal Review & Claim Check - Consumer Reports

"Bottom line. All aboard. Flex Seal floated our boat, and Teddy stayed dry. But with other uses, we hit rough seas. It took three coats of Flex Seal to plug the pipe holes, and larger holes blew out under water pressure. Even three coats didn’t seal vertical sections of our gutter’s end caps and joints: The product dripped down. Flex Seal was flexible but tore when bent too far. And although it sealed the crack in our flowerpot, we had to use two coats of spray paint to conceal our handiwork."

Appears that it should do the job on a coil.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen once the stuff is given time to cure it does harden up pretty good but I don't know if id trust it on pipes etc where pressure will be applied. As far as a coil cover works good. I'm going to grab some more and do the coils on my Garrett gti, cant even find a cover for the gti 12.5 spider imaging coil

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does the flex seal peel off fairly easy when you want to replace it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions