Harbor Freight 9 Function MD Mod Help?

mlrosier

Greenie
May 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to set up my HFMD9, like this one:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detector-modifications/306836-12-pvc-frame-water-resistant-mod.html

I bought the PVC Pipe and the Walmart Wet Box. I desoldered the coil cable from the main board, as well as the useless meter. I got everything packed into the wet box, resoldered the coil cable to the board, but now, when I turn the detector on, all it does is beep, at everything, metal or not. Just holding the detector still, all it does is chirp non-stop. Is it because I did not re-solder the meter to the board? I'm pulling my hair out and I am about to give up and just junk all of it. Can anyone help?

Update, I soldered the meter back on, and nothing changes, except now, the beeping increases in pitch over a 5 second period, then stops completely, and the detector then doesn't respond at all. Help?

Cvscam

Apr 27, 2008
I own that model detector but haven't taken it apart yet. My first guess would be you soldered the wires in the wrong order(switching the inner coil and outer coil leads). If that is a surface mount board they can be easy to overheat and damage the circuit board traces. If you can't fix it I can take mine apart tomorrow afternoon and take a picture of my circuit board and wiring.

OP
OP
M

mlrosier

Greenie
May 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet I overheated it. I desoldered the contacts for where the coil wires attached to the board. I be I overheated it. Man. :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread