Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every since I saw a Compadre Mini on a UK website I wanted one. Since you can't get them here in the states and I didn't want to order one from the UK I decided to build my own. I also didn't want to go out and buy a new Compadre and chop it up so I started saving parts. Through a series of trades I ended up with an almost new Compadre for practically nothing invested. Along with some extra Stingray poles and a cracked 4" coil a friend gave me I started cutting.

The Stingray pole was cut down and the crack in the 4" coil was epoxied. Before moving the control box over to the new short pole I did the interchangeable coil mod on the Compadre. This way I could easily put it back on its original pole and coil if I ever wanted to. Also, While its on the short pole with 4" coil it gives me an extra 5.75 coil that it came with.

I thought this would be a fun little detector for tight places like crawl spaces, under houses, thick brush etc. Overall length is approx 14". I have used it a few times already and it works great. Another use I thought of came about when a friend picked up an Indian head penny off of my tailings while digging bottles. This would be a good little tool to have laying close by for dump digging since swinging a full size detector from a sitting or kneeling position is cumbersome.

Search for "Compadre Mini" on Youtube if you want to see how this transpired. Its a fairly straight forward project but there were a few quirks that had to addressed. The video has the part numbers for the interchangeable coil conversion and the pinout. I would post the video link but it's monetized and I thought I read somewhere on the forums that links to monetized vids were not allowed.

Happy hunting everyone!

Compadre Mini.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An oddity for sure. I hope you find big gold with it!

Kilgore Trout

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2008
Nice job! I made one just like it using a Tesoro Silver uMax. I chose this one because the control head is held on the shaft using only one bolt. It just takes a couple of minutes to convert the full size machine to the little Mini-me. I carved the handle out of a piece of scrap redwood and made the pole from an extra table leg I had laying around. Works like a champ! Good luck with yours.

DaveC19

Greenie
Sep 14, 2015
Schaumburg, Il
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Deus would be an easy one for a mod like this too. Since it is all wireless it would be pretty easy to make a mini handle like that. I think the smallest coil is 9" though so that would be the limit on how small you could make it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread