flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the original Garrett land headphones for my AT Pro. After detecting in the salt water (and keeping my head above water), the spray, and any water from rinsing has worked its way into the potentiometers that control the volume and my headphones have become inoperable.

I decided to disassemble the headphones and bypass the volume controls.

Steps:

1) Remove the ear pads
2) Insert a blade between flat part of earpiece and curved part and gently pry while working around the perimeter, it will pop off.
3) Cut wires to volume control knob.
4) Solder red and white wires to red and white on speaker, and wrap with tape or heat shrink them (preferred).
5) For cord side earpiece, the red and white wires from the cord are connected together.
6) Solder red and white from cord, to red on speaker and red on cord going to other speaker.
7) Solder black from cord to white on speaker and white going to other speaker.
8) Seal up all holes inside earpiece with silicone sealant, including where the earpiece pivots on the metal posts. Just make a big blog of silicone over it.
9) Reassemble earpieces, and before installing ear pads, cover speaker vent with three layers of clear packing tape!

The packing tape serves two purposes... 1) To prevent water from entering through the speaker grill 2) To reduce the volume! Add more layers if it's still too loud.

Now I have RELIABLE and water resistant headphones :)

haxor

Aug 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could use a magnetic 'coupler' to actuate the pots for volume control.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure where I would find a magnetically coupled potentiometer, but I never really found the volume control to be necessary anyway. I always set it a bit down from full volume. The tape does a fine job of both sealing the speaker and bringing the volume down to a comfortable level.

#whoami

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions