Does any wireless EARBUD setup exist? (w/out significant delay)

OP
OP
J

jamiefind

Oct 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, wireless ear receiver, Lesche digging tool & sod cutter, Lesche T-handle HD shovel, home-built 1/4" sifter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In contrast, here is what was actually received:
df9b90d2693cca8ba9d69e84518c0f21.jpg

18b20bfcba749edfbdf5a9352c55878a.jpg

So clearly it's a mismatch between advertisement and product. Argh.

wmpwi

Sep 24, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Test done! I should mention that it's snowing outside so I have the Cordey plugged into the computer and using the Indigo transmitter/receiver (Amazon.com: Indigo BTR9L Low Latency Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter and Receiver 2-in-1 Switchable Adapter for TVs, Computers, MP3 Players, iPods, Headphones: Electronics)in receiver mode and using some OK corded headphones. Watched several videos and the lip sync seems spot on. When I used the Acode headphones, there was a noticeable lag as you also experienced.

With this set up, I can appreciate no discernible lag so my problem is solved, but there is another issue now. In most BT headphones you get volume control, but with this set up you don't. Some people have mentioned an inline volume control they bought off ebay (like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/IN-LINE-HEADPHONE-EARPHONE-VOLUME-CONTROL-ADAPTER-3-5mm-STEREO-/231698995137?hash=item35f25617c1:g:1j0AAOSwEeFVFTL S) which I'm sure would work.

I already modified my ATPro so it has an adapter that runs the audio cord through the shaft and output socket at the very end (as in this video ). For my setup, I'll just solder in a small resistor to take the volume control issue out of the equation.

wmpwi

Sep 24, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTY, I found this video works great for testing the sync between audio and video signals.

biloyp

Greenie
Dec 27, 2014
Telford, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter 505
If you use Bluetooth for wireless connection, you will get a lag due to the Bluetooth technology used. Bluetooth uses a frequency hopping technique so that it doesn't interfere with other devices that use the same frequency of 2.4GHz (UHF) (microwaves, baby monitors, car alarm, wireless phones etc..). There is lots of info with more detail about Bluetooth, it uses a freq hopping scheme which causes the delay noticed.
The product Rapoo H3070 also use 2.4GHZ but it probably doesn't use a frequency hopping technique (but I'm not sure since I can't find data on this) so no delay. I purchased the Rapoo device with wireless headphones but haven't received them yet. So I cannot comment on how well they work, but from what I have read here, they work well.

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
First Texas Search Master DX-3500 (1981)
Primary Interest:
Other
If you use Bluetooth for wireless connection, you will get a lag due to the Bluetooth technology used. Bluetooth uses a frequency hopping technique so that it doesn't interfere with other devices that use the same frequency of 2.4GHz (UHF) (microwaves, baby monitors, car alarm, wireless phones etc..). There is lots of info with more detail about Bluetooth, it uses a freq hopping scheme which causes the delay noticed.
The product Rapoo H3070 also use 2.4GHZ but it probably doesn't use a frequency hopping technique (but I'm not sure since I can't find data on this) so no delay. I purchased the Rapoo device with wireless headphones but haven't received them yet. So I cannot comment on how well they work, but from what I have read here, they work well.

Bluetooth is indeed inherently laggy. Even with A2DP helping out, signal processing alone eats a ton of power and introduces latency.

Remember that the fewer links in the chain the better, in both quality and latency.

Not to mention any tuned coil that's at a harmonic of the 2.4GHz used in BT is going to get noise from the wireless transmitter.

OP
OP
J

jamiefind

Oct 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, wireless ear receiver, Lesche digging tool & sod cutter, Lesche T-handle HD shovel, home-built 1/4" sifter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As a follow up after using the Indigo devices for both transmitting and receiving audio, I can tell you that it's still not satisfactory. I have no way of measuring the lag, but I can tell you that the devices are confirming to me through their blinking patterns that they are indeed communicating in the low latency mode, but there is still a lag. I used it on my TV just to make sure I wasn't going crazy, and sure enough, the audio closely matched the picture but not exactly, and some times were worse than others.

I hate to say it because I'm a former engineer and don't know of any technical reason why this is the case, but even Bluetooth low latency mode seems to be insufficient for metal detecting.

I think I'm finally going to take the plunge and purchase that high-powered FM transmitter thing that a few people are so in love with.

stevieblunder

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2016
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, GTAX 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks, long time lurker first time poster here. I figured maybe it was finally time to contribute to this fine site. First off a little about myself I've been detecting for about 20 yrs. now, my current machine being the AT Pro. Last year I decided to take the wireless plunge and after a ton of money spent and wasted on different set-ups I'll share my results.
First off I went the FM route and didn't care for the interference from competing stations or the sound quality. Next up was the Rapoo set-up but didn't care at all for the sound quality. Since I already had a set of bluetooth headphones I thought I would modify the detector to give them a try. Wow, yes the delay(latency) is really a problem. After trying a few transmitters, receivers, and much study here is what I have learned. Both the transmitter and the headphones(or receiver if you want to go that route) MUST be apt-x LOW LATENCY. If one of them are but the other is not there will be a delay. If they are both apt-x low latency there will really be no delay.
The selection of apt-x low latency headphones is really limited unfortunately. I have a set of Plantronics backbeat pros that really work well but are rather expensive. Another route that I use when it's hot out and I want to use earbuds is to use two Avantree Saturn Pros. One switched to transmit and the other swicthed to receive. They also work well. All this stuff I got off Amazon. Don't know if I can post links but if you have any questions feel free to ask. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread