Sniper coil vs. pole mounted pin pointer?

jamiefind

Oct 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, wireless ear receiver, Lesche digging tool & sod cutter, Lesche T-handle HD shovel, home-built 1/4" sifter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was surprised to not have had any luck finding this concept discussed in any previous threads, so here goes.

I have an Ace 350 with 8.5x11" coil. That coil is great for relic hunting fields, but on two recent occasions I have needed something narrower and shallower for trashy areas. One area was an apparent old dump site full of interesting relics but hundreds of annoying nails. The other area was under an old portico of a late-1800s home having the same situation.

In both cases I whipped out my Garrett Pro Pointer AT and swept the surface at full power with a lot of luck. The pointer picked up nails within an inch or so and a big wrench about 8-10" down. At the old dump site, I was simply trying to clean the shallow targets first (to make the site more manageable). At the portico, I was trying to remove roofing nails that might get stuck in car tires.

Anyway, for these circumstances conventional wisdom seems to prescribe a coin shooter coil like a Garrett Ace Sniper Searchcoil. However, what if I just mounted my pinpointer on the end of a non-metallic rod/pole and just swept it along the surface like a full size detector? I don't know, maybe a wooden pole with rubber strap(s) or something.

Curious how the depths, widths, etc would be different between the two. Obviously there would be no discrimination with the pinpointer, but I'm not sure discrimination in those unique circumstances justify $75 sniper coil off amazon.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're a beep and dig type this will work, but I find it very hard to believe that the pin pointer detected anything 8" - 10" deep. If you want to be successful in hunting in trashy areas, I'd get the small coil and not bother with the "pinpointer on a stick" idea JMHO

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
This isn't directly addressing your question, simply giving an additional option to think about.

The $75 coil puts you almost halfway to a new Tesoro Compadre (get the 5.75" coil). You have a smaller coil and a back-up/2nd detector to boot.

OP
OP
J

jamiefind

Oct 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, wireless ear receiver, Lesche digging tool & sod cutter, Lesche T-handle HD shovel, home-built 1/4" sifter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you're a beep and dig type this will work, but I find it very hard to believe that the pin pointer detected anything 8" - 10" deep. If you want to be successful in hunting in trashy areas, I'd get the small coil and not bother with the "pinpointer on a stick" idea JMHO

Yes, I agree that is pretty unbelievable. I can only say that it seemed like it picked it up that deep since I was only scraping single layers of gravel off of the hole each time, and the signal never moved, but I'm a logic guy, too, so maybe there was something else going on that tricked me. Not sure it matters, but I omitted that what was down there was a big old set of pliers adjacent to a monkey wrench adjacent to a big bolt and nut. Still, surely the ProPointer AT isn't THAT good....

So I guess you're saying: If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Last edited:

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
First Texas Search Master DX-3500 (1981)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I agree that is pretty unbelievable. I can only say that it seemed like it picked it up that deep since I was only scraping single layers of gravel off of the hole each time, and the signal never moved, but I'm a logic guy, too, so maybe there was something else going on that tricked me. Not sure it matters, but I omitted that what was down there was a big old set of pliers adjacent to a monkey wrench adjacent to a big bolt and nut. Still, surely the ProPointer AT isn't THAT good....

If the gravel was loose, I'm not surprised the pinpointer found it. Loose, dry, non-compacted material does not attenuate a signal as much.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The deepest I have found anything with my pro pointer was right at 3". I was sitting on a step here while back, tired of swinging and I was "swigging". I just ran the pro pointer over the ground beside the steps and snagged a wheatie. A lot of times I do sweep it around on the ground after digging a target just in case I wouldn't have to get up to find it with the detector.

There was a thread here a few months ago about taping a strip of metal above the on/off button at the point where you no longer get a signal, and that would increase your depth. So, I tried that (without the taping of it) a few times when I wasn't getting a signal from the PP. It actually worked, got maybe another inch out of it. I've been aiming to affix a metal strip with tape just to give it a go. Sometimes I'm lazy, sometimes I'm forgetful, but I'm always retired now :)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What I am saying is my pro pointer has a range of about 3 inches, and my 5" DD coil has way more depth than 3 inches, so if you only want to dig targets at 3" or less go with the pin pointer on a stick, but if you want to dig deeper tagets you will need to use a metal detector.

Question, do you fish? If yes, do you use the same lure everyday all of the time? Or do you golf? Do you sue just 1 club? Of course not, I have 3 coils for my primary detector.

1. 5"DD for trashy areas or areas not conducive to a larger coil.

2. 11"DD stock coil which I do most of my 1st passes on permissions with and is my "go-to-coil".

3. 12" x 15" butterfly coil for my second pass on permissions, fields, and other areas where the targets are sparse.

It's nice to use the right tool for the job.

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The deepest I have found anything with my pro pointer was right at 3". I was sitting on a step here while back, tired of swinging and I was "swigging". I just ran the pro pointer over the ground beside the steps and snagged a wheatie. A lot of times I do sweep it around on the ground after digging a target just in case I wouldn't have to get up to find it with the detector.

There was a thread here a few months ago about taping a strip of metal above the on/off button at the point where you no longer get a signal, and that would increase your depth. So, I tried that (without the taping of it) a few times when I wasn't getting a signal from the PP. It actually worked, got maybe another inch out of it. I've been aiming to affix a metal strip with tape just to give it a go. Sometimes I'm lazy, sometimes I'm forgetful, but I'm always retired now :)

Yes, this works to some degree, depending upon the metal used, thickness, uniformity of application, etc. Since it is not grounded/on float and is almost certainly not tuned to a harmonic of the frequency the detector is using, it acts as a reflector, driving more of your coil energy towards the area you are searching.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are too cheap or, cannot afford to buy the basic tools needed to be a successful metal detector, you must expect less than optimum results. Invest in a sniper coil. It will open a whole new world for you.

OP
OP
J

jamiefind

Oct 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you are too cheap or, cannot afford to buy the basic tools needed to be a successful metal detector, you must expect less than optimum results. Invest in a sniper coil. It will open a whole new world for you.

So helpful. Your contributions are cherished as always, Terry. Don't ever change.

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

I keep hearing that in just about every field I work in, and that gets proven astoundingly wrong by some of the most clever hobbyists in the field, almost on a daily basis.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So helpful. Your contributions are cherished as always, Terry. Don't ever change.
Terry is a great treasure hunter and a greater person. The only thing that Terry change is his detectors coils. Good luck and good hunting.

OP
OP
J

jamiefind

Oct 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Terry is a great treasure hunter and a greater person. The only thing that Terry change is his detectors coils. Good luck and good hunting.

You pick your company so well.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep hearing that in just about every field I work in, and that gets proven astoundingly wrong by some of the most clever hobbyists in the field, almost on a daily basis.

Never said I was "clever" SCDF, that is why I buy, trade, or barter for the best equipment I can for the treasure hunting job I am attempting. You want to be successful? Get the right tools, learn how to use them, and then put them to use.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My 3rd detector, a BH Platinum was not seeing much use, so I decided to radically modify it for cellar holes.
I got a large belly bag for digging tool, pinpointer and control box for the platinum mounted in a secondary pouch in such a way that it is
positioned like it is on the machine, Then for $25 or so I bought the 4" coilo that ifs available for the Platinum. I mounted it to a 6" long
section of a lower rod and useiit as a handle. Now I have a pin pointer size full function detector for cellar holes
and trashy areas, as well as trash pits. Then I mounted the original coil on the stripped detector rod which with the belly pack makes for a
travel size detector. Both are comin in very handy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread