Greenie
Jan 19, 2016
VA Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal,AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,
New to the site but not reading all i can on here. I am in the process of prepping for my excal mods. I like to change the coil, have an 8in standard stock,got a great open box deal i could not pass up leas than 800. I have used it every week for whats comming up to be a year. I have done great in open water and on the beach but i keep feeling coil to small missing depth and ovrlap. So I am up grading the coil. Was thinking the WOT15......any other suggestions and I would like to install the pp switch. Seen a lot on the coil change, with all the tech developments not sure should i still hard wire......splice......wtrproof connectors?. At this time snorkle and chest high water has been my areas.......not saying i would not dive. And any recommendations on the pp switch.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call the Repair center at Kellyco, they do the mods......

OP
OP
ex-squid

ex-squid

Greenie
Jan 19, 2016
VA Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal,AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes.....have thought about that but I don't have the a problem doing the mods.

Today while waiting the storm out would like to do the mod for changing the yellow
Kiss headphones out to the peltors. Does anyone have a link to good directions.

Thanks.

Also I am just looking for comments on what is the best coil to change too.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes.....have thought about that but I don't have the a problem doing the mods.

Today while waiting the storm out would like to do the mod for changing the yellow
Kiss headphones out to the peltors. Does anyone have a link to good directions.

Thanks.

Also I am just looking for comments on what is the best coil to change too.

I own 2 excals with the mods, one has the Detech 12x15" DD Butterfly coil, the other has Coiltec's 15" WOT... I would recommend either the Detech 10x12" or 12x15" DD butterfly coils

OP
OP
ex-squid

ex-squid

Greenie
Jan 19, 2016
VA Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal,AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.....why did you do both. Do you find a big difference between the DD and the WOT. how is the weight swing

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.....why did you do both. Do you find a big difference between the DD and the WOT. how is the weight swing

I have 2 15" coils because I do not like the stock 10" coils, they are too small, too small of a foot print. The 15" coils go a lot deeper especially in all metal. I had 2 excals, first one had a WOT coil so I decided to try the SEF 121x15" DD Butterfly coils and really like them.

OP
OP
ex-squid

ex-squid

Greenie
Jan 19, 2016
VA Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal,AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the sef waterproof? I do mostly surf to chest high water. Also did you hardwire or splice it in. Good price out there but no feed back
On the coil. Thanks for all the info.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the sef waterproof? I do mostly surf to chest high water. Also did you hardwire or splice it in. Good price out there but no feed back
On the coil. Thanks for all the info.

Yes coil is waterproof, I have hunted in waist to chest deep water many times with it.. Coil is hard wired to the motherboard just like the stock coils... I have several hunting partners that also use the SEF 12x15 coil too...

OP
OP
ex-squid

ex-squid

Greenie
Jan 19, 2016
VA Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal,AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again thanks for the info........

OP
OP
ex-squid

ex-squid

Greenie
Jan 19, 2016
VA Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal,AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK......need some help. I completed the peltor to my Excalibur. Was easy to do but I have one problem.
They were the yellow koss headphones and the threshold volume is real low......like if I turn the threshold
Up it does not get any louder.......any help......don't know what went wrong

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe a short some where...Or if it got saltwater in the cord it will do the same in time. It turns the copper wire black and will cause resistance, leaving you with a slowly failing set of head phones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread