Headphone / Speaker Toggle Switch

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
Most jacks in the detector have a switch built into the jack that disables the speaker when the headphone plug is pushed in.

GG switch is a compatibility switch to allow the headphone to be used on different machines with different headphone jacks and wiring.

Have not seen a device like you are looking for.

Ren

Greenie
Dec 26, 2012
Solano County
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way to switch between the headphones and the sound coming from the detector is unplugging and plugging the headphones in. Like Jeff said, the switching of sound is built into the detector. The detector would have to be built with a switch. Any headphones you get would be unable to change this, since the headphone jack is built into the detector chip. The switch that is on the headphones you see is probably a on/off switch or volume, definitely not a toggle switch. I don't know of any metal detectors with headphone toggles.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I see the Grey Ghost headphones have a toggle switch build-in, but can't find out what it's for.

Switches between stereo and mono.

Just out of curiosity, why are you wanting to go back and forth from speaker to HP's?

stevieblunder

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2016
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, GTAX 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google "Garrett Headphone Mod" The 5th or 6th result down will show a way to install a mini toggle switch in the earcup. It was really easy to do and worked well for me. if you flip the toggle back and forth it switches between speaker and phones. The real reason for this mod is because on the AT Pro the waterproof headphone cable is a real pain to unplug.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Google "Garrett Headphone Mod" The 5th or 6th result down will show a way to install a mini toggle switch in the earcup. It was really easy to do and worked well for me. if you flip the toggle back and forth it switches between speaker and phones. The real reason for this mod is because on the AT Pro the waterproof headphone cable is a real pain to unplug.

Beat me to the post.... Same on the CTX also when plugged into the m12 connector

OP
OP
B

bigfish313

Nov 11, 2013
El Cerrito CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and BH SS II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just out of curiosity, why are you wanting to go back and forth from speaker to HP's?

1. I am making some videos for my Facebook people back in Michigan, I want them to hear the sounds. I can't stand using the external speaker and unplugging it all the time is a pita.

2. I am trying to train my 9 yo son how to metal detect and he has the attention span of a hummingbird. It's way better (for me) if I let him play with his friends then call them over when I get a bite. Last summer we had about ten 9 yo kids showing up at our play-dates. Everyone of them wanted to hear the sound.

Here are a couple of the videos... HH

OP
OP
B

bigfish313

Nov 11, 2013
El Cerrito CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and BH SS II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thank you! That is what I needed to know.
And this is what I did...

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand how this could be achieved without going into the control box and rewiring the headphone jack. That would be simple, but the pics on the video are of the inside of the headphone earcup.
From my experience the speaker is physically disconnected from the circuit when the phone plug is inserted in the headphone jack...it's a lever that is pushed open by the headphone plug, opening the path to the speaker. As long as the phone plug is in the jack, there is no path to the speaker. It cannot be turned on.
Like I said, it would be simple to bypass this shutoff design, but you have to do it from inside the box. You can then mount a toggle switch anywhere on the housing, or you can run a wire to the headphones and put the switch there, but I don't see how it could be done without working in the box.
Maybe newer detectors use an updated system, perhaps being impedance-triggered, I dunno, but i'm only familiar with the traditional design.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bigfish313

Nov 11, 2013
El Cerrito CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and BH SS II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"From my experience the speaker is physically disconnected from the circuit when the phone plug is inserted in the headphone jack...it's a lever that is pushed open by the headphone plug, opening the path to the speaker. As long as the phone plug is in the jack, there is no path to the speaker."

That's not how it works on my AT Pro. There is no lever. When the jack is plugged in the current goes to the headphones. If the current is interrupted (toggle switch) it goes to the speaker.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't understand how this could be achieved without going into the control box and rewiring the headphone jack. That would be simple, but the pics on the video are of the inside of the headphone earcup.
From my experience the speaker is physically disconnected from the circuit when the phone plug is inserted in the headphone jack...it's a lever that is pushed open by the headphone plug, opening the path to the speaker. As long as the phone plug is in the jack, there is no path to the speaker. It cannot be turned on.
Like I said, it would be simple to bypass this shutoff design, but you have to do it from inside the box. You can then mount a toggle switch anywhere on the housing, or you can run a wire to the headphones and put the switch there, but I don't see how it could be done without working in the box.
Maybe newer detectors use an updated system, perhaps being impedance-triggered, I dunno, but i'm only familiar with the traditional design.

Your thinking old school 1/4" audio eddie. The jack does not physically disconnect when inserted. That is also why the speaker on the AT Pro will still work at the same time with a pair of headphones connected that are not of the correct impedance. He simple used a switch in the headphone cup to disconnect the audio path which allows the speaker in the AT to work again.

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to know how it does that. yes, I'm thinking old school 1/4" phone plug, but whether its 1/4" or 3.5mm the method for re-directing the signal has been to physically interrupt the circuit at the jack. If anyone knows the theory I'd appreciate an explanation. Maybe I'll ask in the tech forum as well.

(On edit) I just realized we're talking about a specific detector here..the Garret AT pro, a dual use machine with the unusual feature (for water machines) of removeable headphones.
That explains the special design requirement of a different way to switch between internal and external sound.
I'd still be interested in knowing, from a technical perspective, how they designed it.

Last edited:

stevieblunder

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2016
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, GTAX 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think we are only talking about the AT Pro. Most detectors are wired internally to accept the headphone loop first if it exists. If the headphones are unplugged it automatically switches over to the control box speaker. Take apart any headphone earcup on the cord side. Cut the correct wire in there and the machine will automatically switch to speaker even though the phones are still plugged in because the headphone complete loop is not there anymore. If you put a toggle switch in that cut line you are either completing the loop or interrupting the loop. This mod can be done on pretty much any machine with corded headphones.

stevieblunder

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2016
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, GTAX 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also forgot to add this mod is normally done with the AT pro because it is such a hassle to unscrew the waterproof plug to activate the speaker. Even if you don't have that machine it's kinda cool just to reach up to your earcup, flip the switch, and show some bystander what you are hearing through your phones without having to unplug. HH

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not found that to be the case on detectors (and stereos) i've worked on. The circuit is physically disconnected from the loop when the 1/4" jack is inserted.
Now there are many detectors, incl. the latest models, that I've never worked on, so I can only use my past experience as a guide.
I'd still be interested in knowing how the headphone loop replaces the path to the internal speaker. The only difference I can see is the impedance.

stevieblunder

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2016
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, GTAX 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not found that to be the case on detectors (and stereos) i've worked on. The circuit is physically disconnected from the loop when the 1/4" jack is inserted.
Now there are many detectors, incl. the latest models, that I've never worked on, so I can only use my past experience as a guide.
I'd still be interested in knowing how the headphone loop replaces the path to the internal speaker. The only difference I can see is the impedance.

I really believe you are correct in saying it is the change in impedance that forces the machine to change between phones or speaker. Still the toggle switch mod changes the impedance by either completing the loop or interrupting it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread