Flash light mount for night time metal detecting

Drew32215

Mar 5, 2016
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6 w/ 9.5” concentric coil, and eclipse 6x10 dd coil. Whites bullseye 140mm pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an easy flashlight mount that I found about five years ago. It's a piece of hard rubber curved to fit onto the shaft and velcro to wrap and tighten everything in place. I'm using an inexpensive ever ready LED flashlight. I like to metal detect at night on the beach and this rig is very handy. Just thought I'd show it on my gtax 1250.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 624

jsk1

Greenie
Feb 22, 2010
Ocean View, Delaware
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, stock and 6"coil. Excalliber II, 10", Garrett ATPro, 8.5x11, 5x8.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That seems like a very good idea. I usually just wear a head lamp. I'm like you, prefer to night hunt on the beach.

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a small LED scuba light that looks like a good candidate for this mod. Where did you get the rubber mount?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Head lamp. I just ordered a new one that I love! It's the Energizer Hard Case head lamp, 250 lumens, comes with 3 AA batteries, designed to stay on hard hats (which I don't own) but is comfortable and very well built. Priced right on Amazon as well - I paid just under $30. Built for use and abuse. One button is for spot and the other is for flood. Can use one side or both. Mine has no green or red, and I'm now glad. Wouldn't change a thing!!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer headlamp too.

Do you leave this on while detecting, be careful if you do you may be setting yourself up to get mugged. I prefer to hunt in pitch black darkness and only pop on my small head lamp when target is out of hole.
I was just wondering also because I never have my machine pointed anywhere close to hole when retrieving targets.

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer headlamp too.

Do you leave this on while detecting, be careful if you do you may be setting yourself up to get mugged. I prefer to hunt in pitch black darkness and only pop on my small head lamp when target is out of hole.
I was just wondering also because I never have my machine pointed anywhere close to hole when retrieving targets.
Good point Fletch. My concern is bashing the coil against something sticking out of the ground but on the beach that's less likely. Up here its called the Rockies for a reason. Every time it rains, rock seem to grow out of the ground.
I keep a Petzl headlamp and it does have a 'red' mode. Maybe a better alternative.

Rogerv

Jan 25, 2013
Beltsville Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garret GTA-1000
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Bounty Hunter (came as BOGO from Kellyco)
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I added a Winchester boar light to my GTA1000 about $5 at Walmart comes with a single led on a flexible shaft that works great to light the screen at night.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point Fletch. My concern is bashing the coil against something sticking out of the ground but on the beach that's less likely. Up here its called the Rockies for a reason. Every time it rains, rock seem to grow out of the ground.
I keep a Petzl headlamp and it does have a 'red' mode. Maybe a better alternative.

Yes I see your point! Not too many rocks in N. FL/ S. GA area unless you get in a river or creek! It's all sand and pine trees!

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you search for "light barrel clamp mount" on eBay your search will turn up some pretty nice light mounts that hunters use for night time hog hunting. I bought a couple of them for hunting in Georgia, but have to admit that it didn't cross my mind to put one on a metal detector until I saw this thread.

-Roy

RVAdigger

Tenderfoot
Aug 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a makro racer and find the built in light awesome for night searching. I use that in combination with a powercap from Panther Vision and of course my AT propinter led at night usually. I have a Panther Vision ballcap, warm fleece hat, and one of their visors even for fishing. Love them for night time hunting.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a pinpointer holder that is the same and a small flashlight like the one you show fits perfectly, one of the vendors on here sells them.Metal detecting stuff is where I got mine.19.95.

Last edited:

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
You can find the headlight style on Harbor Freight. They are built into a baseball cap. There are various models available, some of which flip up and turn off, out of your way. No weights on your detector, no metal hanging over your coil, and its cheap. PS, its also protected from rain, as well as your eyes, by the bill of the cap.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I do love night hunt and I have to carry extra light for that. It seems a good detector.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread