pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks, just wondering why some (most?) modern metal detectors appear to use the old 1/4" headphone jack size when the current standard is the small 3.5mm. Besides the ancient 1/4" standard, modern headphones intended for use with detectors are high priced and look like headphones from the 1960s...

Any reason not to swap the 1/4" out for a 3.5mm and use modern, lightweight audiophile headphones? Yes, I know I can buy a cheap 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter... but why not just swap out the female jack?

Just asking. ^_^

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Northern NV. and Kennesaw Ga.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Gold Monster, SDC2300.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually the 1/4 jack is used in many places in the music industry but besides that its much stronger to have a 1/4 than the crummy little 3.5mm which I am on the opposite side of you I prefer the 1/4 only and hate when I have to deal with an adapter for the 3.5 to 1/4

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually the 1/4 jack is used in many places in the music industry but besides that its much stronger to have a 1/4 than the crummy little 3.5mm which I am on the opposite side of you I prefer the 1/4 only and hate when I have to deal with an adapter for the 3.5 to 1/4

Now that I've been using my detectors for a while, I can see how strength is most important... Bought myself some Killer B's headphones and haven't looked back. ^_^

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the Teknetics Omegas have both 1/4" and 3.5 mm. I tried using earbuds once but that small wire is too easy to tangle up when you are down in the trenches retrieving targets.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of the Teknetics Omegas have both 1/4" and 3.5 mm. I tried using earbuds once but that small wire is too easy to tangle up when you are down in the trenches retrieving targets.

That's exactly what I discovered here in the chaparral. Even being careful, I'd be caught on brush and thinking that next time, I'd be pulling the thin wires out or breaking the 3.5mm jack plug off. No problems with the coiled cable so far. Still not crazy about my ears sweating, but I do appreciate the high pitch and sensitivity of the Killer B's.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The killer Bs are the best that I have used to date. Really like the KB model.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions