Excal.using LED instead of Headphones?

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
OBN,or anyone knowledgeable
Hello.I'm living Santa Marta Colombia now.I made the mistake of shortening my Coil Cable,and Hip mounting my Excalibur,for dry-land use,while I was living in Panama,Water hunting there was terrible.And now,since moving here to Santa Marta I find that I NEED to get back in the Water!
I'm very poor,and Kellyco wants a Boatload of Money to restore the Machine back to its former state,the way god intended it to be.
New Coil And Cable
New Grey Ghost under water Headphones
New Seals(Orings)
$80.00 to Ship.

Could I replace that Cable myself,if I can find the right Wire?
Could I use a LED Light epoxied into the End Cap instead of buying new Headphones?
Would it glow dimly for Threshold,and brighten on a Target?

Thanks.
Ken.

Attachments

• A slow Day.jpg
    A slow Day.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 138
OP
OP
S

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003

Thanks OBN.I knew you couldn't pass up helping someone in need.That's just the kind of guy you are.I have looked at this Splice project of yours before.I guess what I was trying to say in my Post was,and I should have been more clear in asking is,That first Flex protector on the Coil obviously unscrews,and under that,right where the cable inters the Coil is another Knurled "Knob"but I cant 'tell if it unscrews or not.I'm guessing it doesn't,and that those Cable Wires are embedded in Resin underneath it.Right? That's why you made your Splice where you did.By the way,excellent Job.I wrote to Kellyco,inquiring as to the Cost for all this stuff I need done to restore this Excal back to a Water Machine.In the reply I received,the tech(Marty)said something about how important the Length of the Coil Wires is... (since I had shortened it ...)saying the Coil is "tuned" to a certain Length of Cable.And that running this detector with the shortened cable could possibly have screwed up my Coil?? It's worked fine as near as I can tell,over the Year or so I have used it on dry Land.???
Whats your take,on embedding a LED into the End Cap,and using it instead of Headphones? Since you don't need a Audio response with TONES,you know,Would it glow dimly for Threshold,and brightly for a Target.(Chest deep Water)..Thanks for anything you may contribute
Ken.

P.S.this is my work,when I shortened the Cable.

Attachments

• Splice 3.jpg
    Splice 3.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 115

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks OBN.I knew you couldn't pass up helping someone in need.That's just the kind of guy you are.I have looked at this Splice project of yours before.I guess what I was trying to say in my Post was,and I should have been more clear in asking is,That first Flex protector on the Coil obviously unscrews,and under that,right where the cable inters the Coil is another Knurled "Knob"but I cant 'tell if it unscrews or not.I'm guessing it doesn't,and that those Cable Wires are embedded in Resin underneath it.Right? YES That's why you made your Splice where you did.By the way,excellent Job.I wrote to Kellyco,inquiring as to the Cost for all this stuff I need done to restore this Excal back to a Water Machine.In the reply I received,the tech(Marty)said something about how important the Length of the Coil Wires is... (since I had shortened it ...)saying the Coil is "tuned" to a certain Length of Cable.And that running this detector with the shortened cable could possibly have screwed up my Coil?? NO YOUR FINE ON THIS, I have shorted cables for years and still find super deep targets, My best excalibur runs a cable which goes from the pod to the coil, no wrapping around the shaft. It works better for there is less cable to be affected by outside EMI, Saltwater ..etc...It's worked fine as near as I can tell,over the Year or so I have used it on dry Land.???
Whats your take,on embedding a LED into the End Cap,and using it instead of Headphones? Since you don't need a Audio response with TONES,you know,Would it glow dimly for Threshold,and brightly for a Target.(Chest deep Water)..Thanks for anything you may contribut On this I am in the dark, a lot of my hunting spots the hunting is based on being able to hearing the faintest disruption of the threshold as possible, in PP. I feel this is where the weak link of the excalibur is, the head phones. A LED light maybe good for this in the middle of the night but during the day?
P.S.this is my work,when I shortened the Cable.

obn

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happened to your original headphones? Just the cable went bad? There are replacement cables for the yellow phones for under $10. Maybe use an old CB mic cable... anything would get you by - even a usb cable. Don’t mess with the led in the endcap or you are lessening the detector resale value and you lose discrimination. Might as well have a pi. Lots of guys would trade you a surf pi for your excal as is. Coil cable length doesn’t matter (within reason).

OP
OP
S

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
OK OBN,LOL,WTF,BFF.
That Red Ink pierces the veil of my reluctant Naivety.
I'll just take my Explorer XS down to the Beach,find that Diamond Ring,sell it and Ship my Excal to Minelab for a Re Build.
I guess that"s why Minelab listed a New Coil for it,in the Repair Estimate,they don't do SPLICES.it's just a shame to discard the original.
Coil.And some new Grey Ghost under Water phones would be the shizz.! If only I can get it back before my 74th Birthday.Thanks alot,OB.
Ken.

OP
OP
S

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
bklein,Hello.
I cut the Wires on those old Headphones,and threw them away.I then Hard wired in a Phone Jack,for the Dry Land Hip mount conversion that I did.And used my Grey ghost Headphones from my Explorer XS..Now I regret doing this.I have since moved to Colombia,and live close to some amazingly crowded Beaches,an want to Water Hunt.I had the Idea of putting a new Coil Cable on,Myself.And then trying the Idea of using an LED in Place of buying new underwater Headphones.(did I mention I"m very poor?)
I just was looking at that new EQUINOX.I like it alot!!!I would SELL this Excalibur 1000,and my Explorer XS both, for just enough Money to buy one of those!

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To go cheap I’d say look for waterproof earbuds in a store and hardwire them in. If not these, you need piezo elements put in anything you can hold next to your ears. Nobody yet knows if the EQ works well at the beach. Your 1000 might be better.

OP
OP
S

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Thanks for your Post.bklein.

To go cheap I’d say look for waterproof earbuds in a store and hardwire them in. If not these, you need piezo elements put in anything you can hold next to your ears. Nobody yet knows if the EQ works well at the beach. Your 1000 might be better.

I finally sold One of my Gold Coins,so I have a little Money now.Now I'm looking for someone that sells Grey Ghost Head phones with the End Cap.
Ken.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread