Is it ok to make a land detector into an underwater one?

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I used a Rubbermaid/??-type container over my minelab 705 screen. Silicone/rubber etc. It wasn't submersible, but was rainproof...sort of...lol

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say go for it. What do you have to loose?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aftr you contraption up your detector and then submerge...

You might actually get about a minute or two of good detecting time...

Before you hear a squelch... fizzle...

then either a soft scratchy screech...

Then a cool nice fade...

Into silence.

IF...

You do it in salt water...

Sounds may differ.

:)

controlfreq

Dec 2, 2007
A concern would be the plugs and wiring may not handle the pressure. I learned the hard way on a different type of equipment. I shoved a K type thermocouple into a Pete plug to take a chillwater temp. The sheath around the thermocouple was not sealed and channelled the pressurized water into the electronics. Even though you may have a good seal around the wire, the wire itself may leak under pressure. Not trying to disuade you from your quest but there are a lot of variables.

I like to tinker too, so fully understand where you're going...

Good Luck.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Tesoro Tejon and was thinking of machining a waterproof box to put the electronics in, but I havent found much info on other people do that. Is making a land detector waterproof not a good idea?

Lots of people have done this with lots of detectors. Don't really need to machine a box, there are off-the-shelf solutions available. Otter boxes are often used for dunkable-wader detectors. You can get heavier boxes for diver rating. Look at APM Hexseals for waterproofing control knobs and switches. You can either gland-seal the coil & headphone cables, or find waterproof connectors and convert them over. My preference is M12 connectors.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Tesoro Lobo that I used for water detecting. I bought a coil with an long cord and a floating cooler that looked like a small inner tube with a cooler in the middle. I had the cooler tied to my belt with a 4 foot string. I would set up the Lobo {detached from shaft}, put it in the cooler and detect away. Then I bought a Tesoro Tiger Shark and the worry of flipping the cooler went away.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen where some have fabricated waterproof housings, but I wouldn't try it on a detector I care about. Better to watch for a good deal on a detector designed for water use.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions