Excalibur End Caps & Mod Advice

I Dig U Dig

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan on doing some mods to my excalibur soon. I am searching for parts and advice.

Parts List
I need end caps:hello:
Thats about it so far, everything else is on order. I think, fingers crossed.

Advice
I have ordered M12-8 Female & Male connectors. The Female connector is on back order. I plan to install Gray Ghost UW headphones on the Excalibur with a CTX wiring. Can anyone tell me the correct wiring?
ctx3030.png correction ctx.png
I have searched and found conflicting photo's.

I sent this to MineLab and I'm awaiting a response.
If I was to shorten the coil cable would it have any effect on performance or EMI? Also can you confirm that the coil wire is an Oil-Resistant Continuous-Flex Cable
600V AC, Four 20-Gauge Wires?

I plan on doing Tony Eisenhower mod for the PP switch. In his video on YouTube he uses 6 wires but has a 8 conductor wire. He says 2 of the 8 are for EMI? It looks like they are connected in the coil splice to ground. They are not connected at the body. Would that help with EMI? The reason I ask is because i can only find a 7 conductor wire with a O.D. of .32. Which is bigger than the M12-8 wire seal at .255?
wiring 1.JPG wiring 2.JPG
Also he uses the ground on the board. Is this safe or is it better to wire it like this?
PP switch.jpg

Lipo battery mod. The Excalibur has a low battery warning at 11.2V (Found this on YouTube correct me if I'm wrong). Can you run the Excalibur on 14.8V without burning it up? (I.E a lipo 4S) Or will a 3s at 11.1V be to low?

Last question sorry for the book. Does anyone have a opinion about this connector for changing coils? I have order it off E-Bay and it was cheap, but does it work? s-l500.jpg
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
I

I Dig U Dig

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was the response from Minelab

It is not advisable to shorten the length of the Excalibur cable.
The coil is tuned to the electronics during manufacture and the coil cable length is critical in achieving optimum performance of the detector.

I do not have access to material specifications; but changing the length of the cable will adversely affect performance.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have further questions.

Thank you,
Tracy

OP
OP
I

I Dig U Dig

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I contacted Coiltek with the same question. Below is the response.

Thank you for contacting us.

The length of cable does not matter for the distances we are talking about on a coil. If we speak 10metrs plus then maybe.

I would suggest not modifying the cable as there may be times where the extra length is necessary and once cut it is difficult to extend.

I hope this helps!

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you.

Regards,

Jessica Axisa
Reception Officer

OP
OP
I

I Dig U Dig

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I am answering my own questions since this forum has fallen on deaf ears. As for the E-Bay connectors, they look good, but are too big to slide in the carbon fiber shaft. Therefore, I wait on Female M12 connectors, as of right now they are backorder until June 25th. I will continue to update this post as I do the mods. Any help is greatly appericated.:icon_thumleft:

Lunchboxx

Aug 21, 2018
Susanville
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excalibur II
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were you able to find what you needed and how is that connector for the coil?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will have to buy 3rd party end caps, minelap does not sell parts to customers. The excal charger puts out 18 volts charging and when new battery is fully charged voltage is over 14 volts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions