Building a 1m x 1m Search Coil for a BH Tracker 4

DigDeep7

Banned
Dec 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hi everyone. I'm usually hunting for caches and don't have any interest in searching for smaller coin sized objects. So I was wondering if I could convert my Bounty Hunter Tracker 4 in to a deep searching machine by building a 1m x 1m square frame coil out of wire and PVC pipe, then just connect it to the control box the same way you would the normal 8" coil. Is this possible and pretty simple to do without doing anything to the factory power supply?

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This kind of coil is easy to make for a PI detector which can use mono coils. The Tracker-4 requires an induction-balanced coil design; those are really hard to build, and one 1m large would be really really really hard to build.

OP
OP
DigDeep7

DigDeep7

Banned
Dec 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
This kind of coil is easy to make for a PI detector which can use mono coils. The Tracker-4 requires an induction-balanced coil design; those are really hard to build, and one 1m large would be really really really hard to build.

Aaah... So much for that then. If I wanted to buy a PI detector that can use mono coils and not break the bank, do you have a recommendation? It seems to be a much better option over buying something like the Lorenz Deepmax for $4k. Looking at the photo they just give you a wire and frame made of PVC pipe for the deeper penetrating coil. There is one video I found of a guy testing his homemade 1m x 1m coil but he doesn't explain how to make it. Do you know of any source for a how-to tutorial? Thanks for the time and info bud.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll want a PI with variable sample delay, for large coils you typically run the delay a bit higher. A TDI would be a good choice.

For how-to, my Geotech web site has gobs of info.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw a wheel standing Pinto once with a 454 in it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread