Sending in a modified detector?

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm strongly considering putting a threshold pot into my White's M6. My soldering/desoldering skills are good and I'm a perfectionist, so it will not be a crappy hack job.

If, in the future, I need to send the machine in to White's for a repair or a tune-up, what is their policy? I know some companies get pissed about modifications to their product and might refuse to service it. Have any of you dealt with this situation? Thanks for your input.

Dan

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm strongly considering putting a threshold pot into my White's M6. My soldering/desoldering skills are good and I'm a perfectionist, so it will not be a crappy hack job.

If, in the future, I need to send the machine in to White's for a repair or a tune-up, what is their policy? I know some companies get pissed about modifications to their product and might refuse to service it. Have any of you dealt with this situation? Thanks for your input.

Dan

If your under warranty I would call first, many companies will void your warranty if it was opened or modified by owners, it can easily give them an out for not covering a problem if you modify the motherboard in any way and if out of warranty they may refuse to work on a modified motherboard insisting instead the MB be replaced.

Whites states....

"The warranty does not cover damage caused by accident, misuse, neglect, alterations, modifications, unauthorized service, or prolonged exposure to corrosive compounds, including salt."

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Luck on the Modification! :icon_thumleft:

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

White's tends to be pretty laid back about that. I assume you're not concerned about warranty repair.

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nah. It's an older machine. I'm saving up for another detector and I plan on sending the White's in for a tune-up as soon as I get the new one. I was just wondering if I should wait to do the modification when I get it back. I'll probably call them anyway, but I just wanted to get people's opinions for the sake of community :laughing7:

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask for Todd in Service. Tell him what you plan on doing, I suspect he won't care. I used to work there, modded machines would occasionally come in. BTW, the old "tune-up" is largely a myth, especially on more modern units.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread