Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Modded this Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 conversion from 2 x 9v to 2 6xAA's. I have put about 10 hours on this setup. It is heavier, made from PVC pipe and fittings, so I lengthened the stem 2 clicks, about 3 inches, to get better balance and have been using a bungee cord to chest harness, that removes much of the weight, even prior to the conversion. I can still use 9v batteries, but likely won't as they are so much more expensive than the AA's. I'm guessing that I will get 90 - 120 hours off this set of AA batteries before they need replacing. :headbang:

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    741.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    693.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    582.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    689.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool modification!

However, do you really need the 2x 6AA cells? AA cells can delivery far more current than a 9V battery can. You can probably have a 6AA setup up deliver enough current to make up for the parallel 9V batteries (I assume the Bounty Hunter's 9V cells are run in parallel and not series).

EDIT: To save even more money, try running some NiMH cells (like Eneloops) in those 6AA battery holders. The voltage would be a little lower than 9V, but I imagine it would still work.

For added weight savings, you could probably get by using a single 6AAA (not AA) battery holder to provide power for the entire machine, no problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slingshot

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run all my electronics on AA cells, just makes logistics easier, and AA's are the most commonly available battery in the world, which is a concern when I am out of country and in a 3rd world location.

Bounty Hunters have 2 separate circuits that are run by the 2 9v batteries [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detector-modifications/536927-battery-swap.html[/FONT]

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run all my electronics on AA cells, just makes logistics easier, and AA's are the most commonly available battery in the world, which is a concern when I am out of country and in a 3rd world location.

Bounty Hunters have 2 separate circuits that are run by the 2 9v batteries [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detector-modifications/536927-battery-swap.html[/FONT]

What's to keep you from using a single 6AA pack from powering both those circuits at the same time?

OP
OP
Slingshot

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crosstalk between the 2 separate circuits...though you could install voltage regulators on both 9v inputs and maybe get away with it. If it were easy, BH would already be doing it.

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crosstalk between the 2 separate circuits...though you could install voltage regulators on both 9v inputs and maybe get away with it. If it were easy, BH would already be doing it.

Can you explain further? I've been thinking about converting my Fisher F2 to a single power source (it uses two 9V batteries on a separate circuit for each battery). But it sounds like from what you're saying, that may not be good idea.

Last edited:

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...If it were easy, BH would already be doing it.

Not necessarily. Metal detecting companies are known for taking the lazy engineering route when it comes to getting rid of 9V batteries and moving on to the 21st century.

Getting metal detectors off the old 9V battery isn't hard...at all. But there must be some other reason. From my research online, it's probably development cost and overly conservative engineers/management.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread