Volume device for whites MXT. Someones gotta have thought of this already.

baleedit

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2007
Volume device for white's MXT. Someone's gotta have thought of this already.

I'd really like to know what I could buy to be able to control the volume on my White's MXT. I really have no clue why a $1000+ setup does not have a volume control. I'm pretty confident that I could wire-in some sort of rheostatic device inbetween the MD and the speaker, but I'd rather not take it apart.

I'm hoping someone knows of a device I can just plug into the headphone jack and control it there, or even one that comes with a speaker with volume control that plugs into there. Seems simple enough, and it wouldn't have to be MD exclusive, just small and preferrably stealthy.

I've googled and searched to death, so this is my first post, hopefully more to come. I've detected for years, but I've recently moved, and I'd really like to ditch the headphones here, as it is REALLY hot and humid.

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
Re: Volume device for white's MXT. Someone's gotta have thought of this already.

a lot of good headphones have a volume control

OP
OP
B

baleedit

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2007
Re: Volume device for white's MXT. Someone's gotta have thought of this already.

seas1to2 said:
a lot of good headphones have a volume control

As I stated, I already have headphones. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

What you need is an in-line volume control from Radio Shack, or you need to get a limiter installed in your headphones that will limit the upper end of the sound spectrum. You can get it installed in Killer B's, but I don't know about other headphones.

OP
OP
B

baleedit

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2007

Please allow me to restate my question. I already have excellent headphones with volume control. I just moved to Alabama this last summer, and it was so hot and humid, the headphones were really uncomfortable. What I was hoping was that someone knew of a device I could plug into my headphone jack with a built in speaker that had a volume control. Something similar to the Sun-Ray pinpointer, that is designed to work with the detector without having to solder or disassemble it.

Thank you all for your time.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Ok, now I understand the problem. I too, live in Bama and can empathize. You still might want to check out Radio Shack and get ear buds with an in-line volume control. One of the guys I've hunted with haas a set and they seem to work fine for him. Myself, I use a one cup set of Killer B's. I don't know of anyone that sells the kind of device you're describing. Even if you did find one, you'd lose a lot of sensitivity with the reduced volume.

Axel

Sep 3, 2006
Australia , NSW
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV

i reckon you could make something for as little as $20. AUS.
I made a volume control box for my Tracker IV , using a Bait Box that connected to a belt..
i just bought all the items required from a local electronics shop and put it together in just under an hour..
i made a small lead to go from my metal detector to the volume box , then plugged my earphones into the other side.. and just adjusted it with the volume control.
But to answer your question , all you'd have to do is replace the "out" jack with a small 3 watt speaker.
very easy to do , even if you don't have any electronic knowledge.
if you want photo's , just give me a yell and i'll post some up.

cheers
AJ 8)

jimmyjiver

Jan 10, 2008

Hi, You Have Your Work Cut Out For You ..Most Headphone Jacks Have A Resistor In Line With Them .. You Could Try Plugging A Small Speaker (the right ohms) Into The Headphone Jack And If It's Plenty Loud Enough. Your Next Step Would Be To Resistor It Down To Level You Need Or Use A Potentiometer To Make The Volume Variable.. You Will Also Have To Take Resistive Measurements Etc..Sorry I Could Not Be More Help..Thanks

JamesE

Kellyco and some eBay sites had a Bluetooth arrangement that used a small ear piece instead of muffs and was wireless also.
I haven't used it.
Anybody here tried one of these?? Looks like something we could use up here too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread