Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF I'm not mistaken,
The Rod on my Sovereign is made of some type of Metal
if it is I Know it is a very low Conductive Metal

And Can't Interfear bacause it is Stationary & Swings with the Coil.

But I have always wondered IF it cuts down even a Little bit on Sensitivity.

I wonder IF I replace the 2 Rods from the Control Box
down to the Coil with a Wooden Dowel it would increase Sensitivity
even Slightly.

Any Opinions ?

60448-group3ww-l.jpg

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i guess it couldnt hurt. i would imagine you would be adding a bit of wieght to the machine though. if that doesnt bother you then give it a shot. dowl is cheap and if you dont like it, you can always switch back.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
i guess it couldnt hurt. i would imagine you would be adding a bit of wieght to the machine though. if that doesnt bother you then give it a shot. dowl is cheap and if you dont like it, you can always switch back.

Some of my thoughts also.

Thanks !

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
The wood dowels might be good for a quick test of your theory but I would also be concerned about the weight long term. I bought a used shaft assembly for an older Sovereign for a modification project. The lower shaft had a fiberglass tube not metal. It was pretty heavy. I changed it out for a Whites carbon fiber lower shaft and could really feel the difference at the end of the day. It's not an exact fit, may need a bushing in the coil bolt hole and some slightly thicker rubber washers.

A carbon fiber straight shaft may be the best thing!

Jeff

Skinny Puppy

Sep 14, 2006
Mt Carmel, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe try some bamboo as well. It will have a harder outer casing and is strong as hell. The carbon fiber lower rod is a good move or you can create one yourself by getting some carbon fiber rod stock and gluing some sort of lower attachment point. You can do a google search and/or sometimes ebay has sellers who stock various sized rods. Good luck.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Jeff, my dealer mentioned to me that I could cut off a bamboo fishing pole and use it

beaverdigger

Jan 26, 2008
Why not use some thick wall (or plain ) PVC pipe like I did? You can use a few "T" or elbows and such and make it any size or shape you need.
Just my $.02.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
jeff of pa,

I made the wand for my 6000D II hipmount out of PVC conduit and the lower rod out of wood dowel. My 15"
loop is mounted on the end. You could drill out the the wood lower rod to lighten it. Cross drill it about every 1 1/2" for it's entire length alternating 90 degrees for each hole. I would probably use a 3/16" drill. Joe

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JOE(USA) said:
jeff of pa,

I made the wand for my 6000D II hipmount out of PVC conduit and the lower rod out of wood dowel. My 15"
loop is mounted on the end. You could drill out the the wood lower rod to lighten it. Cross drill it about every 1 1/2" for it's entire length alternating 90 degrees for each hole. I would probably use a 3/16" drill. Joe

I made a couple Wood Ends for my Whites 6000 D years ago.
The plastic ones used to Break Regularly at the Coil.

Great Idea on the Holes

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
jeff of pa,

LOL! O.K. I see you've been there too. That long plastic isolator that White's made for those machines was a real piece of do-do. If I had a dollar for every one of those I saw broken, I'd be rich! Ya,the holes will lighten it. Sand all the edges smooth on the lower rod,that will keep it from splintering or chipping.
The difference in not using any metal in close proximity to the coil is subtle. It does make a difference though ,especially if you are in a locked tune all metal mode. Joe

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I tried the same thing on my 250 just recently and posted about it to see if anyone else had tried it. Apparently not, but my 250 air tested about a 1/2 -1 inch deeper on all items tested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread