Compass 77b straight rod mod

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro

Attachments

• IMG_0246.JPG
    IMG_0246.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 816

olegoat

Oct 18, 2007
southeast tn
Detector(s) used
fisher 1220x,gc-1023,tesoro tejon , fisher f-2, compass yukon 77b, tesoro bandito 11 umax
nice job, i have a 77b i bought new in az long time ago, i did something different with mine, i bought an s handle and put on that, i need to get that old boy out and use it some more, i found a lot of stuff with that machine........
lets go back to lbh,,,,, :icon_jokercolor: :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
john37115

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
Shoot olegoat as close as we live together we should hook up one day and go some detectin. Bring out that 77b and knock the dust of her we'll put'er to use.
Just leave the shine at home remember I'm allergic LOL

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how deep is that thing..........i always wanted a classic compass

OP
OP
john37115

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
Jorge this 77b is more sensitive than the other 2 I have, it will get coin sized targets 5"-6" in heavy iron. The others will only get 3"-5". The thing they do great is handle small iron. I can put down 4 or 5 heavy square nails and wave the coil over them and it won't make a peep. Then put a coin or ring under those nails and it will go crazy. Try this will other detectors most will null out the coin or ring.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
john37115,

A very sweet mod. guy. I did a lot of hunting with a 77B back in the 70s. If you ever want to sell it please let me know. Joe

klever 1983

Jul 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COMPASS YUKON 77B PROFESSIONAL METAL DETECTOR

Good afternoon.

I want to buy this model. If you have a suggestion. Write.

Sincerely Eugene.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
klever 1983, despite all the praises you might read about this machine, just know that it's "niche" is very limited. It's depth is far outdone by today's machines. (5" or so max on a coin, perhaps 6" or 7" if you're in very ideal conditions and chasing whispers). It had no other form of disc. aside from nulling over small iron (so everything from a foil wad to a silver dollar all 'sound the same'). It was a bear to keep balanced over un-even ground. It didn't work well in minerals.

So you might be wondering "gee, why would anyone want that dinasour?". Answer: because it effortlessly saw through small iron on top of conductive targets. For example: You can group 2 or 3 nails on top of a coin, and the standard modern detector would "null" (ie: mask) over such a mess right? However, the 77b would give a beep for the coin under the nails. Yet when you pull out the coin from under the nails, the nails themselves go silent and don't give a signal. Thus it made for a good ghost town machines where small iron abounds.

but larger iron (cast iron stove parks, horse shoes, RR spikes, etc... ) sized stuff would come through. But with some practice, you could learn to tell those apart from conductive targets.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Compass Yukon 77B was my first love. Maybe around 1977 or so. Our family did a lot of off roading on the Tellico River and surrounding mountains which now has a highway running thru it. ( Cherohala Skyway ) After a couple of years of jeeping and passing all these old cabins , I wanted more than just off roading. I would throw the 77B in the back of the Landcruiser and the rest is history. I would love to have one just as a " wall hanger "

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
I have an original Compass Gold Scanner Pro from 1989. I just pulled a quarter out of golf ball size rocks and up at the beach
with it from about 5 inches down. Love the old Compass machines, though it is a bit different than the 77 b. Incidentally the
94 and 99 model Compass detectors are equally good at ignoring nails as the 77B.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread