There are no stupid questions...

CRASH!

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2005
High Desert California
There are no stupid questions... except this one. :D

Recently I was out in the Mojave desert area checking out the lava fields... I know, I know. In terms of meteroids: Desert- good, Lava - bad. (hence the title)

While browsing over the neat lava formations I came across one rock that was different. I liked the way the crust looked, but it was too large for me to carry back, as I was on a motorcycle. It was between the size of a baseball and that of a soccer ball. Also I didn't take a pic of it... that would be too easy.

What struck me was compared to every other rock in the area, this one made a distinctly different sound when I struck it with other rocks or my wedding ring. It was a more metalicy "tink" compared to the "thumps" of other rocks.

It was reddish brown and black, looked like it had partly melted and cooled... and from what I've since read online exhibits some of the same charicteristics of meteroids... but it was in a lava field.

I didn't have a magnet with me at the time, so I couldn't test that theory

But it now eats at me that this *may* have been something else.

So to put my newbie mind at ease... what are the odds that this was something other than a lava rock? I could find the spot again and probably the very same rock (As the area is remote and not often traveled)

So could lava rock exhibit the same metalic feel and sound as I explained? (high iron content I guess)

Thanks in advance for any input.

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread