Manganese....not a Meteorite

T

trish76642

If you find one of these like i did, do a nickle test on it. Although some of the very rare meteorites arent magnetic, most of them are. They all have nickle in them. Do a nickle test on your rock. If it passes the nickle test have it analyzed by an expert so you dont have to go through what i went through with mine. :sad10:

Attachments

• Rock101108.jpg
    Rock101108.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,681
  • rock.jpg
    rock.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 2,167
  • rock4.jpg
    rock4.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,493

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the closure, Trish. We were all pulling for you. Well at least the possibility was a rush. On the other hand the disappointment sucks. Maybe next time.

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Hi Trish.
After reading your huge thread on this with much enjoyment last week i am sorry this wasn't a huge cash cow for you. Man that would have been somethin. Is this a natural formation or manmade? I think you still get the top award for the most read post tho.

Cheers Sasnz ;D :D ;D

OP
OP
T

trish76642

sasnz said:
Hi Trish.
After reading your huge thread on this with much enjoyment last week i am sorry this wasn't a huge cash cow for you. Man that would have been somethin. Is this a natural formation or manmade? I think you still get the top award for the most read post tho.

Cheers Sasnz ;D :D ;D

Hi Sasnz,

Thanks...
Manganese is found at the bottom of the ocean. Its very abundant in China and Brazil. Its found at the bottom of the ocean in a natural formation. Thats all i know. Not worth anything i dont think, but its still pretty to me.

lol...like someone said, "We've been through alot together" lol

OP
OP
T

trish76642

So I am confused what this is magnetic nickle test ?

are you talking about meteorites or change in your pocket? lol

all meteorites have nickle in them, i assume, most are magnetic, but there are some that arent, or at least not strong enough to hold a magnet, put it that way.

OP
OP
T

trish76642

Mr. Peabody said:
So nickle in my pocket not the same as nickle in meteorite ?

they both have nickle in them. I would think nickle is nickle, if you had a nickle in your pocket and a meteorite and you removed all the other "stuff" added to it, but the nickle, you'd still have nickle.
But im just a girl, what do i know? :icon_queen:
:tongue3: :wink:

OP
OP
T

trish76642

Mr. Peabody said:
You see this is why I no understand. If meteorite is mostly nickle and that nickle is same as nickle in my pocket, then why is most meteorite magnetic but nickle in my pocket no magnetic ? ???

its the iron in the meteorites that are magnetic, not the nickle.

OP
OP
T

trish76642

Mr. Peabody said:
Oh I did not see the part about Iron, now I see understand thank you for my trouble. :tard:

lol....your welcome :wink:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
You need to do some research on the following
Bronzite… Enstatite Silicate… Plagioclase----- Schreibersite… Iridium… Cobalt… Tantalum….. Titanium… Granite…. Manganese
Some Meteorites contain all these elements….Most are a combination of other earth elements…..Art

OP
OP
T

trish76642

aarthrj3811 said:
You need to do some research on the following
Bronzite… Enstatite Silicate… Plagioclase----- Schreibersite… Iridium… Cobalt… Tantalum….. Titanium… Granite…. Manganese
Some Meteorites contain all these elements….Most are a combination of other earth elements…..Art

yes. I read up on some much of that stuff i thought my brain was gonna explode.
That (what you just posted) is another good reason to send your sample off to get tested.

OP
OP
T

trish76642

Art? Have you read where some of the most rare meteorites get tossed aside because they are so hard to prove that they are meteorites? I read that and found it very disturbing, i couldnt believe it.

I'll have to find the websight i read that from and post it for yall to read.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Trish….I can believe anything….I bring every small sized rocks home. I have only been looking for them for about a year. It seems like the ones who have the information don’t want to let us know it….I do Nickel-iron tests and I use a 60 to 1 solution of Nitric Acid on them. I have an old LRL that will pick up over 40 elements. Most of them look good in my flower bed. Nitric Acid is very dangerous ever at that strength so be careful….Art

OP
OP
T

trish76642

aarthrj3811 said:
Trish….I can believe anything….I bring every small sized rocks home. I have only been looking for them for about a year. It seems like the ones who have the information don’t want to let us know it….I do Nickel-iron tests and I use a 60 to 1 solution of Nitric Acid on them. I have an old LRL that will pick up over 40 elements. Most of them look good in my flower bed. Nitric Acid is very dangerous ever at that strength so be careful….Art

well i for one am glad your around to give us all the good in Art!

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Hey Trish…I am getting a little long in the tooth. I try to pass any thing that I think may help someone. My kids are not interested in what I do and my methods are not main stream but I keep going. Heck..Right or wrong you never know when one word or one sentence will turn someone’s Treasure Hunting around….Art

OP
OP
T

trish76642

aarthrj3811 said:
Hey Trish…I am getting a little long in the tooth. I try to pass any thing that I think may help someone. My kids are not interested in what I do and my methods are not main stream but I keep going. Heck..Right or wrong you never know when one word or one sentence will turn someone’s Treasure Hunting around….Art

i can tell ya..when i was younger i was never interested in what my daddy did either, but it all changed through the years. I find myself being just like him...as far as what he was interested in. They may not be interested now, but one day they will be.

Your right about, "you never know when one word or one sentence will turn someones Treasure Hunting around,"
A word or a sentence can also change someones whole life. It can make a difference thats for sure.

Do you hunt for meteorites Art? I wished i had that opportunity, theres a place close to me where one supposedly landed, but when i asked the brother of the lady who owns the land how long ago it was, he said the experts told him probably several thousands of years ago. Even though i would love to go there and hunt, and its only a few miles from me, im pretty sure theres nothing left. The meteorites, if any at all, im sure have all deteorated away. Still wouldnt mind going though.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Last spring I found one on a hill side where I was searching for a buried jar of silver coins. It was about 500 pounds. I sent a chip to the local college and told them where it was. It was on Indian Land and they seldom grant permission to hunt there. It is gone now…I looked for them a few times last summer but all I could find were rocks with Iron and Nickel. I bought a small meteorite and stared testing on it. In the dowsing section someone put one word on there that changed the way I was looking for them. Iridium…I have found 3 that I thought were meteorites in the last month. When I did the tests at home two were not. The other one has 9 elements in it that makes me think it is a meteorite. If I was going to sell it I would get it tested. To me it is just another rock but I had fun finding it…The “hunt” has become more important to me than the finding aspect of Treasure Hunting….Art

distimpson

Nov 9, 2006
brenham, kansas
Hi Trish, do you still have this manganese nodule? If so, would you consider selling to our museum? In addition to meteorites we also have a display of meteor-wrongs to help folks search for new finds.

If interested please contact:

Don Stimpson, Ph.D.
Kansas Meteorite Museum & Nature Center
21255 St. K
Haviland, Kansas 67059
"home of the world's largest collection of brenham meteorites"tm

or pm. thanks, don

picture is "sunset in brenham", reflection of a brenham township sunset in the polished metal phase of a brenham meteorite slice.

Attachments

• sunbren.jpg
    sunbren.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 745

Rasputin

Dec 11, 2008
Ho Hum Hollow, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
~trish~ said:
Mr. Peabody said:
You see this is why I no understand. If meteorite is mostly nickle and that nickle is same as nickle in my pocket, then why is most meteorite magnetic but nickle in my pocket no magnetic ? ???

its the iron in the meteorites that are magnetic, not the nickel.
Actually, the element nickel is magnetic as well as iron. Our nickels do not have a high nickel content so the coin is not magnetic. It is a cupro-nickel alloy. Canadian nickels do have a higher percentage of nickel and are magnetic. (Try it sometime!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions