Please Help, does this look like a meteorite?

M

michigan michael

I found this today a little over 7 inches deep?Huh?? I played in that hole for about 30 minutes. I was so confused because I had a really strong hit and nothing in the hole. I forgot my pin pointer so I made a call to have someone run it out to me and I stuck it in the hole and the pin pointer went nuts on this rock. I freaked. I was like holy spit I found gold!!!!!!! I thought a minute and decided this probably was not gold. Its really light in weight and resembles more to a piece of coal than gold. My next thought was well maybe a piece of a pull tab or foil eroded into the rock but after cleaning it up this was not the case either. My last conclusion is that its a meteorite. What does everyone else think? I am really curious.

Attachments

• meteorite1.jpg
    meteorite1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 4,373
  • meteorite2.jpg
    meteorite2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 13,878
  • meteorite1.jpg
    meteorite1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 3,326
  • meteorite2.jpg
    meteorite2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 2,974
T

trish76642

Hi MM!

I wished it was a meteorite, how cool would that be?! But you say its light weight, meteorites or heavier than the everyday rock because they have iron in them.

I found mine (manganese) in the middle of a pasture, wished i knew how it got there. It set off my detector too, and my pinpointer! Still to this day, when a person see's my rock, the first thing out of their mouth is, "THats a dam meteorite!" LOL...

did you file a window in it? Lets see what the inside looks like.

You should post your pictures in the rock forum.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey MEMORIAL MAGNET…I don’t know much about the newer metal detectors. I don’t know if they still pick up “hot rocks”. I find a lot of rocks that have one flake of gold in them. After you cleaned it up, did the metal detector still pick it up? Micro Gold and Micro Silver deposits make some detectors go crazy…It could be a meteorite but the weight seems to be wrong…Art

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

I cleaned it and yes, it still make the pinpointer go off. its crazy. I will take Trishs suggestion and put it in the rock forum. I just found out about the meteorite pages on here. Learning a lot from everyone. Thanks for all your help!

Memorial Magnet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread