Can I get a little meteorite HELP?

krimic

Mar 28, 2005
Metro East, Illinois
I found this (meteorite?) about three months ago in illinois. I was metal detecting and it rang in clear as a bell it was at a depth of 8 inches. When I showed this to a guy that owns a curiosity shop in the local area he immediately offered me 50 dollars for it and told me he wasn't sure if it was a meteorite or not. He jumped a little quick to offer me money that is what made me suspicious, by the time I was walking out the door the offer stood at a 100 dollars. So long story short I am just wanting an opinion of what you guys and girls think. Also if you can tell me how to take a better picture of it (digital photography) is not my forte. Thanks for your help

Attachments

• SDC11136.JPG
    SDC11136.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 1,401
  • SDC11132.JPG
    SDC11132.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 1,218
  • SDC11135.JPG
    SDC11135.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 1,202
  • SDC11133.JPG
    SDC11133.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 1,358

BMan

Greenie
Oct 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Did you do the magnet test? Some, but not all meteorites contain iron. But since you found it with a detector, it contains some kind of metal.
http://www.aerolite.org/found-a-meteorite.htm

Unlike Earth rocks, iron meteorites also contain quite a bit of nickel. There is a test for nickel using dimethylglyoxime - details here: http://meteorites.wustl.edu/id/metal.htm

The dealer reaction was a bit suspicious . He obviously thought it was worth something. :laughing7:
I'd recommend taking it to a Geology department of a university for ID.

It kind of looks like a fusion crust. Is that a rusty spot in the last picture?

I've read that iron meteorites don't last long in the terrestrial environment (for obvious reasons), but I'm curious if there is a protective effect sometimes from a fusion crust.

As for pictures, if you have a digital camera, there should be a closeup mode. Take a number of photos and review them. It takes some practice.

OP
OP
krimic

krimic

Mar 28, 2005
Metro East, Illinois
Yes it is highly magnetic, it also has very shiny spots on it which I am guessing is the raw nickel also there are some spots on it that contain some rust. The day I found the object it was 8" deep and covered in dirt. I was just going to toss it to the side thinking it was a hot rock but it was really heavy for its size. So I cleaned it and took it up to the shop that I spoke of.

BMan

Greenie
Oct 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
How big is it? Looks to be 6-7 inches.

Did you weigh it?

Some meteorites need to be kept in a controlled environment.

If it is a meteorite, it is a very nice find. Congrats. :icon_thumright:

wtgwayne

Oct 30, 2009
Here is a photo of a crondite meteorite that a geoglist from san antiono paid me $2.00 a gram for it weight 11 3/4 Lbs, he said that it was 4.6 billions years old,so i sold it to him for $10,000, it also had nickle in it, and the smiley face magnet stuck to it.
I found it while i was looking for arrowheads in a cotton field in west texas.

Wayne

Attachments

• rlk_0362[1].jpg
    rlk_0362[1].jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 1,278
  • rlk_0362[1].jpg
    rlk_0362[1].jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 1,056
Feb 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
krimic said:
Yes it is highly magnetic, it also has very shiny spots on it which I am guessing is the raw nickel also there are some spots on it that contain some rust. The day I found the object it was 8" deep and covered in dirt. I was just going to toss it to the side thinking it was a hot rock but it was really heavy for its size. So I cleaned it and took it up to the shop that I spoke of.

If you didn't descale the rock, and the pictures are how it was found minus the dirt, then it's not a meteorite. Just from the features and lack of weathering effects I can see in the sub-optimal light photos.

Sorry.

wtgwayne

Oct 30, 2009
Texas_Meteorite_Hunter

If it is not a meteorite why did the geologist from San Antiono say that it was and pay me $2.00 a gram for it?
And this is the way that it was found less the sand that was on it.

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
wtgwayne said:
Here is a photo of a crondite meteorite that a geoglist from san antiono paid me $2.00 a gram

Nice "Chondrite."

As for the pic in the top post, I sort of have my doubts. An iron would have a lot more rust on it than that, unless it fell recently. Not a lot of ablation look to it either. Hard to tell from the pics though.

RAMITHOME

Greenie
Dec 11, 2009
San Antonio Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500PRO, GARRETT LS INFINIUM, PULSE STARll PRO
It is my understanding that there are a lot of rocks which are earth rocks and will be attracted to a magnet.
I was told once that if it were a meteorite then it would be very hard to seperate it from a magnet, unlike earth rocks
that are magnetic and can easily be seperated from a magnet. However I have not found a rock that would not give up the magnet
so I can not be absolutly sure. Your find looks good, have it checked out and (caution) don't let it out of your site while this
is being done. It may be for real and worth a lot of money.

RAMITHOME

Greenie
Dec 11, 2009
San Antonio Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500PRO, GARRETT LS INFINIUM, PULSE STARll PRO
Are there any MD Clubs in Texas/New Mexico that specialize in Meteorite Hunting/ If there are how can I contact them.?

Klee61

Apr 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know if you are still an active member. I found what I am sure is a meteorite and live in San Antonio. Where would I go to get that verified and how do I go about selling it? Thank you.

FINDER BINDERS

Apr 23, 2015
SOUTHERN NJ
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO / WHITE 6000 DI PRO / WHITES SPECTRUM XLT / WHITES DFX / WHITES 808 DEEPSEARCH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is really cool! i would love to find a space rock but i would drive myself crazy thinking every rock i find is one.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it was buried in clay like hard-pan , this would have kept oxygen from getting to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread