Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this forum last night while searching for info on meteorites.

I have no pictures to post, but I will describe to the best of my ability.

To make a long story short, the area where this "rock formation" was found was a wooded area up till about 1967. The land was cleared for pasture by my late FIL. He had found several smaller chunks (approx 8-10" long & 6-8" thick) weighing about 2-5 lbs each & would bring them up to the house, (they were used as a flower bed border). He always wanted them analyzed but never got a round to it. These really looked the color of asphalt after weatherized. This same pasture has a unusual slope in a very flat land in the area to where this formation is located, over the years the land had been disked for planting hay other than that just a grazing pasture for the cattle.

I had walked the area MDing & never found anything. Now that we're getting this pasture ready to plant pine seedlings, the tractor being used is owned by the Forestry Dept & uses a deeper depth than most standard farm equipment. Thursday, the plow part hit a "boulder" (approx 2' x 4') and actually pulled it out of the ground, there are many smaller 12"x 10" pieces surrounding the bigger piece in an area of approx 25' long but no wider than about 5' going from West to East. Some have the blackish color, others have a greyish color with black specks in them. Some have the "rust" color blended in.

I called the Geology Dept at the university, & it was hemm & haaw, send us a sample. I also read many articles on their website written by the same person I spoke with on the phone. I was told to call the Extension Office, after I did that, the individual told me to bring in some pieces, & he would hand carry to the university.

After finding this forum, I tried using the magnet & compass, no luck. I have ants in my pants over this & would very much like to find out what this is. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
River Rat

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the websites, Ghost Surf. Still can't find nothing like it there. 2 people have looked over the area & claim meteorite (stony); Geology professional states "bog ore". It will be analyzed at the university.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions