Utah Meteorites

Damn Yankee

Greenie
Jan 1, 2010
Utah
Detector(s) used
Cortes, S. Umax, Omega, E-Trac, White's M6...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the wife's brother hunts em around the Delta area.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Meteorites can be found ANYWHERE. They do not pick a particular target on Earth. It has been estimated that a meteorite of 8 oz. or larger strikes every square mile on Earth every 15,000 years. So meteorites should be found anywhere rock has existed for the past 15,000 years. Even on the ocean floor. Because water absorbs much of a meteorites impact force, only larger meteorite craters have been found sub-ocean. To see just how common meteorite strike are, look at a large photo of any lunar (moon) surface.

Do a search for Utah at the Meteoritical Society database should provide you with the most recent information on how many Utah meteorites have been found to date. I was able to find information on at least 19 distinct meteorites from Utah, currently formally known as: Upheaval Dome, Salt Lake City, Duchesne, Salina, Ioka, Atlonah, Park City, Drum Mountains, Garland, Canyonlands, Poinson Spring, Beaver-Harrison, Gunlock, Cricket Mountains, Sunstone Knoll, Wah Wah Valley, Arches, Tule Valley, and Greener Reservoir. Last reported find was 2004, so my data probably out of date now.

hunter 2

Nov 9, 2010
fmrUSMC_0844 said:
Anyone in Utah do any meteorite hunting? Im looking for someone to try and find some of these with. Also are thee meteorites in Utah? say the west desert?
i would love to find some cash laying on the ground give me a call my name is paul. 801-678-2560

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tuberale said:
Meteorites can be found ANYWHERE. They do not pick a particular target on Earth. It has been estimated that a meteorite of 8 oz. or larger strikes every square mile on Earth every 15,000 years. So meteorites should be found anywhere rock has existed for the past 15,000 years. Even on the ocean floor. Because water absorbs much of a meteorites impact force, only larger meteorite craters have been found sub-ocean. To see just how common meteorite strike are, look at a large photo of any lunar (moon) surface.

Do a search for Utah at the Meteoritical Society database should provide you with the most recent information on how many Utah meteorites have been found to date. I was able to find information on at least 19 distinct meteorites from Utah, currently formally known as: Upheaval Dome, Salt Lake City, Duchesne, Salina, Ioka, Atlonah, Park City, Drum Mountains, Garland, Canyonlands, Poinson Spring, Beaver-Harrison, Gunlock, Cricket Mountains, Sunstone Knoll, Wah Wah Valley, Arches, Tule Valley, and Greener Reservoir. Last reported find was 2004, so my data probably out of date now.
Thanks for that info!!!

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100/Explorer XS/ Garrett GTI-1500/GTA-1000/Grand Master Hunyer III/White Goldmaster II
I have been stating over at Thompson UT. for the last few years and I'm thinking about going out and looking for some meteorites after I close the quarry down in a week or so. and if you get over this way let me now and I can go out with you.

Aufinder01

Jan 13, 2006
I hunt around every now and then. I've collected a few lumps. I'm getting so that my kids think that I should find someone to go with me so I don't drop dead somewhere remote by myself.

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100/Explorer XS/ Garrett GTI-1500/GTA-1000/Grand Master Hunyer III/White Goldmaster II
I have been on the enternet getting info of that fireball that went over Utah on 11/19/2009 and I'm waiting for better weather so I can travel to each site and get more accurate coordinate off the cam like the GPS coordinate and bearing and the elevation from level. So far I got a cam at a rest station in Scipio UT. The security cam is close to N39'.256400 W112'.116500 and a cam on whitelock Ave S.S.L.C at N40'.715962 W111'.893077 and a cam at the University of Utah Observatory at N38'.520000 W113'.280000 and a cam in Lehi UT. at N40'.439337 W111'.832967 they say it hit on the Dugway booming range but I'm going to try pin it down better.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
That's how the professionals do it: crunch the number first, try to work out the strike zone and walk that area first.

If a recent strike and soft soils, could be buried. That's where a detector, a good magnet, or a sensitive compass could help you toward the 'ite.

larryg

Jan 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metorites are very strange over the years I"ve seen many of them fall stright down some shoot across the sky .Some extremly fast,some seem to kind of glide .Most go from east to west .Last one I saw hit the mountain on my left bounced off and up in the sky , came across the sky about 500 ft above the highway and may have been half mile right of the high way .Then it flashed banged disintegrated .I saw no large pieces come off this one, just looked like dust particles. Another one I saw was very large and very bright,white blue head,extremely long white tail. About 2 miles in front of me.I thought sure glad I was not right there or it would have tore this truck to pieces. It hit the mountain on my right, talk about an explosion it went up a small canyon ,talk about orange,red,and white fire vibrations.Very large fire balls came shooting back out of the canyon .One was very large and round and spinning,another was large long and flat ,flopping end over end ,red orange and black flying through the air.Went and looked last year ,but didn't find any thing . Lots of difference in daylight and dark! I'll try again in the spring when the snow is gone. [email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread