they are real......

PENNYHUNTER

Aug 19, 2007
Orangvalle
Detector(s) used
explorer se,excal 1000,whites MXT,and a E-trac
I found these while on a coyote hunting trip with my dad.
We had hiking all morning with only seeing one coyote and he would not give us a shot. so we decided it was getting late and we should head back to the truck, with is a couple of miles away. So we stated the long hike back and about half way we decided to sit for a minute drink some water and have a granola bar. i sat down and set my gun next to me and out of the corner of my eye i saw this "rock" that did not fit with the rest of therocks there so i picked it up looked at it for a second and with out getting up i picked up 4 of these. I put them in my pocket and we headed of. I didn't even tell my dad because I had no idea what i had. so as we walked the big one started to hurt my leg so i took it out and set it on a big rock next to the trail. I know dumb right.
several months go by and i showed one of them to my uncle and he said" this is an iron meteorite where did you get it" I of curse didn't tell him, but he said it is a find of a life time. So i did some web surfing and made a couple of phone calls and I talked to this guy in Fairfield CA and he told me to bring them in. today i did not work so i drove down there to show them to him in person. When I put it in his had I could tell by the way his face changed it was eather relay good news or relay bad. IT WAS GOOD :icon_thumright: he told me they where Iron on stony iron meteorites and I should send one of them in to be classified. so that is the next page to this story.

I will keep you all posted..

sorry for the crappy pics. I had to down size them for this page.

Attachments

• SSC_0571.JPG
    SSC_0571.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 895
  • SSC_0573.JPG
    SSC_0573.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 892
  • SSC_0572.JPG
    SSC_0572.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 891
OP
OP
PENNYHUNTER

PENNYHUNTER

Aug 19, 2007
Orangvalle
Detector(s) used
for size

Attachments

• DSC_0574.JPG
    DSC_0574.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 919

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
I found these while on a coyote hunting trip with my dad.
We had hiking all morning with only seeing one coyote and he would not give us a shot. so we decided it was getting late and we should head back to the truck, with is a couple of miles away. So we stated the long hike back and about half way we decided to sit for a minute drink some water and have a granola bar. i sat down and set my gun next to me and out of the corner of my eye i saw this "rock" that did not fit with the rest of therocks there so i picked it up looked at it for a second and with out getting up i picked up 4 of these. I put them in my pocket and we headed of. I didn't even tell my dad because I had no idea what i had. so as we walked the big one started to hurt my leg so i took it out and set it on a big rock next to the trail. I know dumb right.
several months go by and i showed one of them to my uncle and he said" this is an iron meteorite where did you get it" I of curse didn't tell him, but he said it is a find of a life time. So i did some web surfing and made a couple of phone calls and I talked to this guy in Fairfield CA and he told me to bring them in. today i did not work so i drove down there to show them to him in person. When I put it in his had I could tell by the way his face changed it was eather relay good news or relay bad. IT WAS GOOD he told me they where Iron on stony iron meteorites and I should send one of them in to be classified. so that is the next page to this story.

I will keep you all posted..

sorry for the crappy pics. I had to down size them for this page.

I'd be going back and finding the one you left on the rock, asap. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
PENNYHUNTER

PENNYHUNTER

Aug 19, 2007
Orangvalle
Detector(s) used
I did when the weather allowed my cousin and I hiked back in there to get it . it was still there :icon_thumright:

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
This is awesome....Your dog hunt ended up WONDERFUL!!!!!!
I'll bet it is one dog hunt you won't ever forget. :thumbsup:
~Nash~

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! How much do they weigh? Be sure to go after the large one. It seems to me that it may be a strewn field. Meaning there might be more of them in the same area. Probably blew up close to the ground.

OP
OP
PENNYHUNTER

PENNYHUNTER

Aug 19, 2007
Orangvalle
Detector(s) used
I am still weighting for the identity of these. I have not gone back to see if there is more,weighting to see if its worth the hike or not.. But i will let you all know as soon as i do.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bro, I'm Betting ya have some L4 contrites there. By the pictures, it sure looks like the real deal to me.

OP
OP
PENNYHUNTER

PENNYHUNTER

Aug 19, 2007
Orangvalle
Detector(s) used
Update..
I got my sample back from A.S.U. and they say it is "magnetite cobble"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread